Issues with permissions for new users

Started by Segnali, June 24, 2017, 04:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segnali

I had this fixed, then last week I had to change something and silly me this time I did not back up first.

After I have done something that now I am unable to undo, permissions were all up in the air and after trying everything I could I just cannot find the way it was: new members first post should be moderated.

Instead now, even if I remove all new users permissions, they still can write, answer, create new topics as soon as they are registered.

What am I doing wrong?

See images below, thank you

Segnali

I got the feeling the new members are getting the permissions from the regular ones. I got 1777 members in total so I am not sure why 1616 are regular when many hundreds did not write a single post.

Should I delete everything and restart all groups and permission from scratch?

Kindred

SMF uses an "inclusive" permissions system. This means that the permissions are normally "additive". If a member belongs to two membergroups, and at least one of them is allowed to do something, then that member will be allowed to do that, even if the other membergroup is not allowed to do that thing

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Disallow_and_Deny_-_What%27s_the_difference_when_it_comes_down_to_permissions

Inclusive Permissions

Here is an example of inclusive permissions:

The "Official Announcements" board permission profile is used on the "Club Announcements" board.
    In this permission profile, membergroup "Club Officers" is allowed to post new topics without approval, but the membergroup "Club Members" is not allowed to post topics without approval.
    Therefore, if a member belongs to both "Club Members" and "Club Officers", then the member is allowed to post new topics on the "Club Announcements" board without approval.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Segnali

:-[ nothing...months later I am still unable to get it back to the way it was and this despite I installed an older backup on another website which had the settings I like.

I copied the settings on the new forum but new users are still able to post their first message without moderation.

It's driving me crazy so maybe if someone here has an idea how to fix it...thanks.

Illori

you need to disallow permissions for regular members to create topics and posts.
you need to set your permissions for each post count group for if they can create a topic or a post and if it is moderated or not.

are you doing this to prevent spammers? if so there are much better ways then this.

Segnali

Quote from: Illori on October 09, 2017, 05:10:20 AM
you need to disallow permissions for regular members to create topics and posts.
you need to set your permissions for each post count group for if they can create a topic or a post and if it is moderated or not.

are you doing this to prevent spammers? if so there are much better ways then this.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love you!

That's the thing I missed!

Fixed...FINALLY! THANK YOU...again :)

Advertisement: