Is there any possible way with which we can check who last logged in ?

Started by Decent_946, October 02, 2017, 10:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decent_946

Hello SMF Community,

Recently, our community forum got messed up very badly. Someone has just totally done wrong with the forum.. all the topics, boards and users have been deleted by someone. In simple words, forum got illegal access ( hack ). I have doubt on some of community ( forum ) members since they have been trying to get us down. Even Community founder is unable to login.

I am looking for a possible method by which i can check who just last logged or recent logged users list in forum via user panel/host ? - IP address and hostname ?

little help would be really appreciated.
Thankx to RebellioN

Sir Osis of Liver

Look in Admin -> Members, you can sort 'Last Online' column up or down by clicking on the title, assuming, of course, that the info is still in your database.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

If you can't even log in... you need to go to phpMyAdmin, go to the smf_members table and click on the 'last_login' column heading to order it by highest number first (most recent login)

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Asadullah on October 02, 2017, 10:31:21 AM
all the topics, boards and users have been deleted by someone.

If users have been deleted, _members table may be empty. Database backup wouldn't help, as it would predate the attack.  If that's the case, you would need access to server logs.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Sir Osis of Liver

On my previous host, server log included timestamp and ip (among other things), which is what OP is looking for.  Current host has access-logs folder, but can't get into it via FTP, maybe have to use cpanel.

- R. Waters

Decent_946

I'm thankfull to all of you for your replies. I did read them yesterday but couldn't answer for some reason.

as Sir Osis mentioned, database table was erased hence i am unable to look up in the database.  Server Logs were erased as well. It showed us only the actions that we took after the heck. This thing has ofcourse been done by breaking into someone's ( admins ) account. We have doubled our security for our forum now. We had backup of 1 week earlier. we restored it. We hope this scenario won't occur again.

However, We are yet figuring out the hacker. Thanks all of you guys for your time. :)
Thankx to RebellioN

Arantor

Breaking into the admin account shouldn't have enabled access to the server logs... makes me wonder if there was a problem with the hosting account.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Asadullah on October 03, 2017, 03:41:11 PM
We hope this scenario won't occur again.

Those who live in hope often die in despair

As Arantor pointed out, this wasn't a forum hack, your host account is compromised.  You should advise your host of the attack, ask them to do a security scan on your account, and change ALL passwords - cpanel, databases, ftp, forum admins.

- R. Waters

Decent_946

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 03, 2017, 04:21:41 PM
Quote from: Asadullah on October 03, 2017, 03:41:11 PM
We hope this scenario won't occur again.

Those who live in hope often die in despair

As Arantor pointed out, this wasn't a forum hack, your host account is compromised.  You should advise your host of the attack, ask them to do a security scan on your account, and change ALL passwords - cpanel, databases, ftp, forum admins.
This has been done. Everything seems to be clean. I don't think there is anything nore we can do.

I'll keep you up-to-date if there is something new.
Thank you.
Thankx to RebellioN

aegersz

this mod, although not quite what want, may be of interest to you > http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1406

This mod will display a member's last login next to their posts

I also run this and set BCC on in Postfix to catch all sent mail (to monitor this mod) > http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2181

users receive an email on failed login attempt, account login protection by ip address, and locking of an account after too many failed attempts.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Decent_946

Thanks @aegersz :)

These both mods are helpfull indeed. I have already installed login security mod. Gonna install the last login displayer as well.
Thankx to RebellioN

Advertisement: