News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Admin Account cannot login/reset password?

Started by Sigyn, October 05, 2017, 12:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigyn

Neither myself nor my other admin can login to our accounts. We use the emails that we made the accounts with to send an email to change the password but it doesn't send. The mods are unable to see the details needed on the account in order to make changes.

What can we do to fix this issue?

Sir Osis of Liver

Go into your database, smf_members table, find your admin account, delete password_salt, enter new plain text password in passwd.  That should get you in.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

The above advice is definitely accurate for 2.0, I'm not 100% sure it's the same in 2.1 after the password system was changed.

Sir Osis of Liver

I looked, same fields, should work the same.  Didn't have time to try it.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 05, 2017, 04:04:15 PM
I looked, same fields, should work the same.  Didn't have time to try it.

The contents and underlying logic is somewhat different now. SHA1 is no longer the password format, for example, and password salt is used in a different way now.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just tried it, doesn't work in 2.1.  Is there another way to do it?

@Sigyn - couple of options that do work, if you can register a new account, do that, then go into smf_members and change id_group of new member to 1.  Or you can do same for one of your moderators, and have them reset password in your existing admin account.

- R. Waters

Illori

we dont even know for sure that the op is using SMF 2.0 or SMF 2.1. looking at prior posts i would think SMF 2.0.

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, my first advice works in 2.0, second method works in 2.0 and 2.1, so one or the other should be applicable.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: