Advertisement:

Author Topic: Moving to something like Handlebars (after 2.1)  (Read 100575 times)

Offline Diego Andrés

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Hero
  • We know, we'll be coming
    • MeTiroAtuTia on GitHub
    • @bihgetter on Twitter
    • SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Themes
Re: Moving to something like Handlebars (after 2.1)
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »
You know, I kinda wonder where are all those noisy themers who were very vocal about how terrible SMF themming system is and how much weight we gave to backend instead of frontend...  here we are, a few years later actually defending their case  :laugh:

Would be nice to meet them since I got started in css and php making themes, at it was very easy.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Offline Suki

• Kaizoku Jotei
  • Developer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • I don't really come from outer space
    • MissAllSunday on GitHub
    • SMF mods
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
Speaking of template systems I've recently been toying and very much likening EJS and Erubis

Of course if we took this further I very much like the way Vue is heading.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out.

Offline landyvlad

• Michael Reed on Facebook
    • GSX1400 Owners ORG
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 01:52:11 AM »
While a bit of the stuff in this thread is above my head / knowledge I entirely agree with this statement

Anything that makes things easier for the end user gets my vote.  If that means being able to modify the looks, build themes without having to learn php can only be a good thing.

Of course (IMHO) the best means would be a graphical front end where you can make changes and then review them in near real-time such as in wordpress. Heaps good, and probably almost impossible to achieve.  Such a thing, were it offered by any forum software, would drag many new users away from SMF (and  others) in droves.

Why new users? Well I think many are initially far more concerned with looks rather than function.

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

To paraphrase Kindred: "There are no technical solutions to social problems."

Offline Gwenwyfar

• Pirate Valkyrie Neko-chan
  • On Hiatus
  • SMF Hero
    • Gwenwyfar on GitHub
    • My pixiv
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2018, 10:39:28 PM »
This is not a feature to help (or that would truly help) users/admins. It would "help" those making the themes, two very different things. If the subject is making things easier for admins/users there's other things that would be much more useful and would not even involve changing how the templates work. Your graphical interface example is one such thing, it would be a nice feature.
Do you know who you really are?

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • StoryBB/StoryBB on GitHub
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 07:10:06 AM »
The thing about Handlebars is that it strongly encourages splitting templates into small pieces and including them.

Means admins can find things easier as to changing them. At least that’s been our experience having now converted the entirety of the templates.
Don’t try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person. You haven’t had enough to know what it’s like.

No good deed goes unpunished / No act of charity goes unresented.