News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How can I ban a range of ip addresses?

Started by Edward Ward, October 11, 2017, 09:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Ward

I thought I banned a whole range last night but then woke up to a whole new group of fake users trying to get in.

I want to ban everything that starts with 91.200

Illori

are they causing you to get spammed or what? you are really better to improve your defenses to stop the spam rather then ban by ip address like that.

Edward Ward

I have anti virus and fire wall + malware bytes. I'm getting a bunch of fake users trying to get in to the forum. I have it set so that new members need to be approved but they still show up there as needing to be approved, almost 300 of them over night. They are all coming from 91.200

Illori

are you running the forum on your own computer? antivirus, and malwarebytes will not keep this from happening.

YogiBear

91.200.12.91 is a pain in the neck from the Ukraine.

Suggest ban it either via your forum or even cpanel under IP Deny (or similar term).

Edit : come to think of it the whole range can pose probs.. Suggest ban 91.200.12.* or 91.200.12.0-255
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Sir Osis of Liver

You can ban a range with .htaccess, it will prevent them from reaching the forum.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ronald_1938

Quote from: SkellyCA on October 11, 2017, 09:28:09 AM
I thought I banned a whole range last night but then woke up to a whole new group of fake users trying to get in.

I want to ban everything that starts with 91.200

Wasting your time, and probably also blocking prospective new members that are within the IP's areas..

There are a couple of programs to stop the spammers in there tracks..

This one here is what I have used for years:  https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547  Install this program and Register at Stop Spam Forum  http://www.stopforumspam.com/  after you have registered, get an API number to install in the program, this will activate the program. Now let the program do it's job..

I have stopped thousands of spammers over the last few years..

Edward Ward

It's hosted at godaddy, not my computer. I've been getting a lot of fake user requests now that I set membership to be approved first but even that's annoying. I was getting spam.

Kindred

Read the FAQ on how to avoid spammers
You've ben going about it wrong.

Don't ban... don't bother with approval

Write 10-20 good questions for registration and ask 2-3 of them with each registration
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

91.200 is a well known spammer ip from Ukraine.  You can block it by creating .htaccess file with this -

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from 91.200

and placing it in your forum root.  It's better than a mod because it prevents them from touching your forum, they're blocked before they get there.  And try using verification questions for registration as Kindred suggests.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Steve

After you've done what Sir Osis said, to prevent others do as Kindred said:

Quote from: Kindred on October 11, 2017, 10:26:21 PMWrite 10-20 good questions for registration and ask 2-3 of them with each registration

To give you an example, look here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531660.msg3776163#msg3776163
DO NOT pm me for support!

Edward Ward

Advertisement: