Mod that's let's any moderator/admin post in a topic be stickied at the top

Started by confuseamuse, October 20, 2017, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

confuseamuse

Excluding the OP.

I've seen a mod that's similar to the one I've just described, but it only lets you sticky the OP.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

confuseamuse

Quote from: Kindred on October 21, 2017, 12:49:49 AM
Why do you need a mod, you can do this with core permissions

You can sticky any moderator post inside of a topic with permissions? I've never seen that one.

Shambles

It's not {individual} posts that get stickied, it's topics themselves. Whole topics.

confuseamuse

Quote from: sǝๅqɯɐɥS on October 21, 2017, 05:34:10 AM
It's not {individual} posts that get stickied, it's topics themselves. Whole topics.

I meant within a topic thread, not on the board index.

Arantor

Implementing this is very complicated as it necessarily affects every part of SMF's logic for posts so it displays things correctly, doubly so since usually posts are shown strictly in the order in which they are created which comes with some nice performance improvements along the way.

Not that this can't be done, but it's *very* difficult to do correctly without breaking everything else, and I'm struggling to see what the use case would be in practice.

confuseamuse

Quote from: Arantor on October 21, 2017, 01:00:32 PM
Implementing this is very complicated as it necessarily affects every part of SMF's logic for posts so it displays things correctly, doubly so since usually posts are shown strictly in the order in which they are created which comes with some nice performance improvements along the way.

Not that this can't be done, but it's *very* difficult to do correctly without breaking everything else, and I'm struggling to see what the use case would be in practice.

I've been thinking about it, and it would probably be easier to use the "sticky OP on every page" mod and edit that instead. I did have a legitimate use case for it, but like you said, it would require great effort.

I wanted to use it for awareness on every page, so users knew what was occurring in a topic, instead of having to read through a lot of pages to be informed. Just as an example.

Arantor

A manually updated 'what's going on in this thread' deal only usually works if your threads scale to hundreds and hundreds of posts. I'm kind of curious as to what discussion topics you'd be discussing where that would work instead of encouraging more, shorter threads.

confuseamuse

I've seen a few SMF forums have 100s of posts and they're not broken up, ever. None of the admins/mods think to incorporate tools to assist in such a situation.

What originally made me think of this was reddit, but that has a completely different system compared to your typical forum.

Advertisement: