News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Questions about limitations

Started by DeadlyPawn, November 09, 2017, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadlyPawn

Hello,
I'm a beginner and don't know even a little about Simple Machines (yet), but I've been creating, participating and moderating other open source forums since straight 8 years. I'm sorry if that's not the appropriated place to post that by the way, hope everything goes well.

I've found myself in necessity of making a forum for an already huge international community, and while I didn't find support to make the forum the way I want anywhere, I noticed that one of the best and most beautiful forum I have ever joined had "SMF © 2017, Simple Machines" below.
I want support related to planning a forum, to know the limitations I'd face before putting it in action. I just want to know if my ideas are feasible, nothing more, and they are simple, so please: Read all my topic.

• As I said, it's an international forum, it's essential and super important to conciliate people from diverse nations. I saw that there are available packs for many languages, but I wanted to do something like that:

I don't want a translator or anything similar, but buttons at the top of the forums that would change between the language packs. The not-made-by-humans messages would change, of course I know I can't change the posts and topics contents and etc., but it would be very intuitive for not registered users from everywhere to make their accounts, post stuff and all. Is that possible to make? It's the most important thing!

• The second thing is that when making a topic, you'd be able to choose between flags, the icon of the language that must be spoke there specifically.

• Thirdly, in a specific sub-forum or forum, I want my members to have much control in the appearance of their topics, an option to select between the available colors (wouldn't be much, like <10), that would be the background of the topic.

• Finally, that sub-forum would be somehow very different from the entire forum. The topic creation would be completely different, you would be able only to put the link of an image, a downloadable file and the description of the file. The topics wouldn't be 'topics', but threads for the community-made designs, so the image sent by them would be attached in the topic content and narrowed to be the thumbnail of it. If that's hard to understand, tell me and I will try to explain again differently.

What in the ideas above is possible and what is not? That's what is really important for me,
Thanks in advance!

Arantor

The flags thing, I think has been done as a mod before now. If not, wouldn't take long to make.

Forcing a language in a topic is a social problem not a technical one. No software on earth can make a person write in French in a topic marked with a French flag. Needs humans to do that. In terms of marking topics, would be easy enough to reuse the message icons feature but you'd have to have people to moderate it and make sure they follow it.

Members having choice over presentation usually leads to people making really poor choices in practice. Not impossible, just would need to be built, as it would be custom and one off for your community.

The last thing is quite a big change to the software as presented. Likely would need a custom programmer to spend a good few days on it (and unlikely to be free). Doable, just at a price.

Kindred

Sounds like he's actually looking for a gallery or download mod for the last one... and those do exist
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DeadlyPawn

Hello, thanks for the reply!

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2017, 06:17:18 PMThe flags thing, I think has been done as a mod before now. If not, wouldn't take long to make.

This brighten me up, never expected this to be possible. Can you link me to it or to anywhere that would bring me closer to this objective?

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2017, 06:17:18 PMNeeds humans to do that. In terms of marking topics, would be easy enough to reuse the message icons feature but you'd have to have people to moderate it and make sure they follow it.
(...) Members having choice over presentation usually leads to people making really poor choices in practice.

I'm aware of this. It surely must be a hard thing to deal, but being possible is already a long step.

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2017, 06:17:18 PMThe last thing is quite a big change to the software as presented. Likely would need a custom programmer to spend a good few days on it (and unlikely to be free). Doable, just at a price.

I see. That's not a priority though, but seems like a thing that I can do somewhere in future.

Quote from: Kindred on November 09, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
Sounds like he's actually looking for a gallery or download mod for the last one... and those do exist

Yeah, it's something like this. It would be posted by the users, is that valid?

Kindred

Galleries and download mods use the permission system
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DeadlyPawn

Kindred

Search the mod site for gallery or download
Слaва
Украинi

DeadlyPawn

My questions were pratically solved, I just want to know how can I do the flags thing.

Quote from: DeadlyPawn on November 09, 2017, 06:05:36 PMAs I said, it's an international forum, it's essential and super important to conciliate people from diverse nations. I saw that there are available packs for many languages, but I wanted to do something like that:

I don't want a translator or anything similar, but buttons at the top of the forums that would change between the language packs. The not-made-by-humans messages would change, of course I know I can't change the posts and topics contents and etc., but it would be very intuitive for not registered users from everywhere to make their accounts, post stuff and all. Is that possible to make? It's the most important thing!

Kindred

My previous statement holds true for this as well...  did you try searching the mod site?   Like, for this one?   https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2705
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: