Is it possible to make this front page with SimplePortal?

Started by Dwev, November 10, 2017, 10:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwev

I'm the editor of a popular homepage and forum everything to do with Apple in Holland, the homepage can be seen at macfreak.nl or in the attached screenshot

When searching for a good replacement forum I found SMF, and so far it looks like a good replacement for the current forum.

So I'm curious if I can make my homepage in SMF as well, with the help of SimplePortal.

I'd like to keep the news on the left, and a list of clickable titles of the currently active forum threads on the right.
I've managed to get something working on may test site (robert-benschop.nl/smf/index.php), but still quite a few questions remain:

• Is it possible to cut off articles after a set number of lines, instead of a set number of characters?
• If people click on Read More they are immediately referred to the forum, how can I keep them in the articles/news itself?
• Can I set a maximum width for blocks?
• Is it possible to chose what I want visible for the display the titles of the Recent Posts (preferably just the time and/or dat, title en number of reactions).

Any help is appreciated.

Gluz

If the theme in the forum is not similar to the one in the front page, you can install another Theme and use that for the front page, SimplePortal have that option to have different style in the front page than in the forum itself.

- There is no way to set it up to certain amount of lines, but there is a BBCode-style tag that can be used for that to tell the portal just load till there. Just put [cutoff] where you want to be cut off from the front page and it will show just before the tag.

- There is no separate view for articles, they are posts from the forum and SMF have no separate view for posts, you are redirected to the forum post to read the full post.

- You can set the width of the Blocks in the SimplePortal Configuration page in the Admin panel, it's fixed, if you want it to be a Max-width instead, you need to edit the Portal.template.php to be the max-width instead.

- When configuring the Block of Recent Posts, set it up to Type: Compact, that way it only shows the title, the autor of the post, and the date. If you want to display other info besides that, you have to look at the SSI.php and the info it generates, but most likely you need to edit PortalBlocks.php and SSI.php to fetch that info (number of reactions, I don't know if that is something lost in translation, but the only thing I can think of is the number of views).

Dzonny

You already got an answer here:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=557012.msg3947476#msg3947476

It's possible that the best way to go here would be TinyPortal, although SP can most likely do similar thing.

Dwev

We're making headway, still encountering some minor errors but the principle is working.

Thanks for the help and the advice!

https://www.applezone.nl

@rjen

Looks nice

(maar ik mis de credits voor SMF, daarmee ga je hier het support verliezen)
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Kindred

As noted, since ho have removed the smf copyright, you have essentially stated that you don't need the assstance of the community - therefore we do not provide support to such sites.

Additionally, you might check, but I don't know that simpleportal allows you to remove their copyright at all
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dwev

@ Kindred: I didn't remove that information, but I probably know who did and I'll contact him so that it will be made visible again.

Thanks for the heads up!

Dwev

The copyright information is all visible again, both from SMF and SimplePortal.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Dwev on December 06, 2017, 05:22:28 PM
The copyright information is all visible again, both from SMF and SimplePortal.
Thank you. Now, is there something you still wanted assistance with? :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Dwev

Yep, but not on this particular topic anymore   

Thanks for the offer we though.  :D

Advertisement: