Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Connection Problems

Started by chetbrz, November 11, 2017, 06:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

My forum will not come up I get the following message:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I have other applications on the same server and I am not having any issues with them.  I guess it isn't a service provider issue.

I uploaded the repair_settings.php program but when I try to load it I get the same message ?

The only different file I see in the root directory is proxy.php ??  This is not in my original load ??

Any thoughts...

shawnb61

What version of smf are you running?

What version of php?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

chetbrz

SMS is 2.0.?? Not sure
PHP 5

If I recall a while back I tried to load 2.0.14 but I think it failed because I didn't have an update version of php.  Is there anything I can download from the site that can provide better info.

LiroyvH

Any other applications using mySQL?
Have you looked at Settings.php to see if the credentials are OK?
Is the database OK? (Try seeing if it needs a repair, although that'd usually throw a different message.)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

chetbrz

Yesterday I loaded  Gallery 3.0.7 (Rive Droite) in a separate directory.  (Photo Sharing)

Everything was working OK.  I did use the Announcement function for the first time last night but nothing was mailed out or at least I didn't get any announcements.  I have two forum test members with separate email address.

I will check settings and get back to you.

chetbrz

I check the settings file on the web with the one in my setup directory the only discrepancy I found was in:

****** Database Info**************
OLD
$db_error_send = 1

WEB File
$db_error_send = 0

Last error = 1389350348 same as original file ?

chetbrz

I did some checking by running the repair_settings on my Clone forum and it appears that the Absolute Value for forum has changed.  I believe this would be a provider decision.  Maybe this occurred last night.

BTW my Clone site was squawking about errors but it at least came up.

Now how to fix.  repair_setings doesn't run in the root.  Maybe I need to manually edit the settings file ?

Please advise

LiroyvH

Your posts are a wee bit vague, so a more generic response:

If the database name, username, password and/or prefix in the Settings.php don't match the values they should be: yes, you can fix them by manually editing Settings.php or using the repair_settings.php.
If the paths are entirely incorrect in Settings.php: fix that manually, then run repair_settings.php.
You need to upload repair_settings.php to the forum directory.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

chetbrz

OK,

Apparently the hosting Co. upgraded my Hosting Account.  The database wouldn't connect because the SQL application required a more complex password then what was initially set.  I fixed that and changed the info in the settings.php file.  But I still can't connect to the SMS database.  (Looks Fine from the host Admin App.)

Repair Settings ran it just took a long time to load.  Bottom line.., in the MySQL Database Info section the first line Database Engine is:

Value not found!   MySQL

I think the path to the database has also changed and I am trying to figure out what that path is.   localhost doesn't seem to work ?

chetbrz

When I look at the Database Details at the Hosting Account there is a complex Host Name Example:

Hostname
<My DB Name>.db.<numbers>.hostedresource.com

Does this info need to be in the Server Variable ??

chetbrz

OK  Fixed it:

Yes I did need to update the Hostname into the $db_server.  Once I made connection to the SqL database I ran the Repair_settings file and everything fell into place.  I did need to update the forum Theme directory settings. 

Next time I will pay closer attention to my emails.  I found an email from my hosting service informing me of the upgrade last night.  Shame on me.., I thought I was hacked.

Anyway I learned a whole bunch of stuff, but most importantly, I will pay closer attention to email.  Outside of this snafu the forum has been working great since 2007.  Not bad for ten years and counting.

Many Thanks,  Chet...

Advertisement: