About 'Search', not sure it is a bug or just me found something out.

Started by richardwbb, June 11, 2017, 06:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

Unexpecting, I used the advanced search of smf, and put in my username only. So, I deliberately didn't type a keyword. Somehow the keyword has to be atleast two characters long. Then, it says something along the line of 'no valid search terms'. [third link]

So, I really needed to have a look at all the posts I have made within the recycle bin of smf. I tried one asterisk, didn't work, as I expected. Then, I typed two asterisks, '**', and hey, now it is giving results [first and second link]

Did I find something that is unexpected behaviour, well maybe not. On the other hand, who on earth makes it possible to use asterisk [and]. put the minimal search length two characters. I can understand there can be a speed issue, but the server with the isp has just been upgraded and it went from 8 Xeon real slow, too really fast [however, they also turned on the view on the cpu's on the server, but it's real fast].
Adn then, I might know how to do it, but I find it should be apperant to all users to find with the advanced search the way they that they expect. And is it possible to put the two characters to zero, without messing around in all the files smf can update? Otherwise, I'll have to reinstall and do it again and still face a 'move' to a smf 2.1 version [have bèta now], because it really really is a lot better, and fear of doing thing two or even three times.

I feel there must be an easier way, or I found something, that '**', is accepted as '  ', and this tells me, it should accept '' too. I find 81 out of 90 topics started by me, having over five thousand posts in 'normal search engine tempo'. Please advice.

fotobakje.nl/map/div/smf/zoek-a-asterisk-asterisk.png
http://www.fotobakje.nl/map/div/smf/zoek-b-all-results.png
http://www.fotobakje.nl/map/div/smf/zoek-c-no-results.png
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Kindred

I am not sure what your actual question is...  but the search is behaving exactly as expected.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

richardwbb

Good point.

While I have been busyboxing, but then the Apache road to php and then to Simple Machines;

If I 'Search', without text. It gives '2 character limit'. When I search; '??', it gives results.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Kindred

Well yes. Of course it does. You have included two characters in that case so you pass the check of at least two characters in the search. so I'm still not sure what your question is
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Quote from: Kindred on June 11, 2017, 07:10:52 PM
I am not sure what your actual question is...  but the search is behaving exactly as expected.

Searching for two stars generates an expected response? Funny, because I didn't think it actually would and is highly dependent on multiple factors.

Please enlighten me on what the expected response would be for all four known search backends of SMF.

richardwbb

Regular users usally don't communicate with me about the search, and/ or 'search-limit'.

Here is a picture. And, I'm not sure, but, I do know, this forum is about 130MB, that is about half, pretty-url-cache, and half, smf [posts and personal messages].

picture.

Please bear with me, it are not my messages, but to get to my point. I'm wondering to make it more compatible with what is expected that people that search, type. In my case that would be; asterisk and/ or question mark. For the users, I should 'smf-poll', them, but that is not the goal of this forum of this car club, I'm Site Admin of. I'm not sure what to do, and it maybe isn't very relevant to the users, but it is the searcher, and I'm noticing, old topics, can be burried, [by 'keyword-reuse], and, I have noticed not so many people including me, have bookmarked with a web browser. I am not sure on how to, and, if it would be wise, to set the limit to lesser characters.

Advertisement: