BotBanish Firewall Client

Started by Randem, November 17, 2017, 11:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randem

pocttopus,

BotBanish does not change any SMF settings, so if you repaired the issue with repair_settings.php that is a different issue. Did you move your site to a new location? What did your host provider find & repair?

All 7 of our websites are running BotBanish, so we would be the first to notice a site failure due to BotBanish. Answers to the other questions that were asked would also help to solve the issue.
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

lethal-danger

I installed the BotBanish Firewall Client MOD on my SMF forum 2.0.15 and everything seemed to work well.  It started adding IP's to the .htaccess file.

But then out of the blue my website stopped working - Error 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

I uninstalled BotBanish Firewall Client and deleted the .htaccess file and everything is working again.

Any idea what would cause this?

Randem

lethal-danger,

It could have been several things...

1 - ISP issues (timeouts).
2 - Internet Issues (timeouts).
3 - Your IP in the .htaccess file

Since you deleted your .htaccess file there is no way to tell if that was the cause. Your IP could inadvertently get put in the .htaccess file and that would definitely give you that error. That is the exact message a blocked bot would get. When BotBanish is installed, your server IP is placed into the override table so that it never gets blocked.

Your website was probably not down at all, you were just blocked. Did you change anything? Were you operating from a different IP? If you were operating from a different IP than the one used to install BotBanish you are subject to be blocked if suspicious behavior is determined to exist on that IP. If using a different IP, that IP should be added to the override table so that it never gets blocked also.

The .htaccess file would have been the key to knowing exactly what happened. We can possibly check to see on our end with a few answers from you.

What IP were you using?
What was the domain name of your site?
What version of BotBanish were you using?

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

lethal-danger

Thanks for your time!

I was using version 2.2.03

I didn't delete the htaccess only renamed it and my IP's are not on it.

I was accessing www.hvactechgroup.com [nofollow] from my work PC and my iphone. Both have seperate IP's.

Randem

Would it be possible to see your .htaccess file (zipped)?
On which device was the system down on?
How did you uninstall BotBanish?

I see a number of lockouts on your domain. How many do you have?

There will be a folder in your SMF installation location named logs. Look in that folder for files, if they exist please zip and send them to me.

lethal-danger

I got the ERROR 500 on both my work PC and iPhone, which both have different IP's on different networks.

I used the Package Manager in the SMF admin to uninstall BotBanish.

I'm not sure what you mean by lockouts.

The .htacess file was in the main folder and seemd to cause the error on my Geeklog site,

www.hvactechgroup.com

and my SMF forum,

www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum

The logs folder in my hvacforum folder is empty.

Thanks again!

Randem

Ok, if the log file is empty; BotBanish did not terminate prematurely. Your .htaccess file is formatted correctly but also fails on our system with a 505 error until we remove lines 1-10 then it works correctly. This would indicate that the issue is in the first 10 lines BEFORE the BotBanish Entries. You can try it on your side to verify. You have some CPanel entries that are causing the 505 errors.

Look in your server logs, the error should be better shown there. You should find an entry like this

[Thu Jan 25 14:07:58.134845 2018] [core:alert] [pid 13728:tid 1168] [client ::1:58972] C:/wamp/www/.htaccess: Error reading C:/wamp/www/.htaccess at line 4: Line too long

Line 4 should be your issue. BotBanish is working correctly and does not start until line 11.

lethal-danger

I'm pretty sure after years up smf upgrades and installing/removing different security mods, something is not right.  Is there an easy way to import all the users/passwords and posts into a freshly installed forum?

Randem

??? :o
This is not something BotBanish does...

Margus

Greetings,
I using 2.1 b3

After install i get this:

Ministeerium
Today at 08:19 am
c6bb525fbdd1da152a48bd5bb16a8ed1
Type of error: Undefined
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_register http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog;desc
File: /www/apache/domains/www.arvutiministeerium.ee/htdocs/arutlusekeskus/Themes/default/Errors.template.php (body_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 187

Ministeerium
Today at 08:19 am
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_register http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin;area=antispam
File: /www/apache/domains/www.arvutiministeerium.ee/htdocs/arutlusekeskus/Themes/default/languages/ManageSettings.english.php (body_above sub template - eval?)

Ministeerium
Today at 08:18 am
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_register http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin;area=antispam;a5809e196f1=c6bb525fbdd1da152a48bd5bb16a8ed1
File: /www/apache/domains/www.arvutiministeerium.ee/htdocs/arutlusekeskus/Themes/default/languages/ManageSettings.english.php (body_above sub template - eval?)

Ministeerium
Today at 08:17 am
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_register http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog;desc
File: /www/apache/domains/www.arvutiministeerium.ee/htdocs/arutlusekeskus/Themes/default/Errors.template.php (body_above sub template - eval?)

Ministeerium
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_register http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin
File: /www/apache/domains/www.arvutiministeerium.ee/htdocs/arutlusekeskus/Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php (body_above sub template - eval?)

Ministeerium
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_register http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin
File: /www/apache/domains/www.arvutiministeerium.ee/htdocs/arutlusekeskus/Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php (body_above sub template - eval?)

Ministeerium
Today at 08:16 am

Ministeerium
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_register http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings;a5809e196f1=c6bb525fbdd1da152a48bd5bb16a8ed1

Ministeerium
8: Undefined index: BotBanish_Client_Install http://arutlusekeskus.arvutiministeerium.ee/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=1517645641.zip;pid=0
File: /www/apache/domains/www.arvutiministeerium.ee/htdocs/arutlusekeskus/Packages/temp/installBotBanishClient.php
Line: 316

Any ideas?

No other mods is installed.

Randem

Aloha Margus,

What version number of BotBanish are you using? Are you using the SMF version of BotBanish?

fmmobley

What does this mean...

A SetEnvIfNoCase entry was not found in the .htacces file and the User-Agent is still being allowed entry to the system

Randem

Quote from: fmmobley on February 08, 2018, 09:34:30 AM
What does this mean...

A SetEnvIfNoCase entry was not found in the .htacces file and the User-Agent is still being allowed entry to the system

Generally, it means that the .htaccess file that you have set is not the correct one needed and when BotBanish has blocked a User-Agent BotBanish should not be seeing it again and it has. It could mean that the entry was manually removed from the .htaccess, the incorrect .htacess file was indicated, the file has read only permissions.

You should be on the current version. What version of BotBanish are you using?
What is the domain?

Our support site is located at http://botbanish.com/support
There is much more information there.

-Rock Lee-

Quote from: Randem on January 05, 2018, 02:21:10 AM
Rock Lee, I have another line to translate if you would...

Thanks in advance.

$txt['BotBanishClient_mail_subject_unknown_bot'] = 'BotBanishClient: Bot desconocido detectado - %s';

Before anything apologizes until now, I was able to answer you (I have outstanding notes that little by little I will get some if some patience) for some problems I have but that better than ever sometimes says the saying :laugh:

$txt['BotBanishClient_mail_subject_unknown_bot'] = 'Cliente desterrador de bots: Bot desconocido detectado - %s';

Quote from: Randem on January 14, 2018, 05:17:25 PM
Rock Lee,

I have another few lines to translate if you would...

Thanks in advance.

$txt['BotBanishClient_mail_subject_unknown_bot'] = 'BotBanishClient: Unknown Bot Detected - %s';
$txt['BotBanish_htaccess_rule'] = 'Account has been prematurely terminated. Probable violation of the .htaccess rule';

Here I leave the 2nd line anything send me an MP or see if these days is already ON my page that sure will be around those sides 8)

$txt['BotBanishClient_mail_subject_unknown_bot'] = 'Cliente desterrador de bots: Bot desconocido detectado - %s';
$txt['BotBanish_htaccess_rule'] = 'La cuenta ha sido terminada prematuramente. Probable violación de la regla .htaccess';

I hope this all in order.

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Randem

IMPORTANT UPDATE: All users should update to the latest release of BotBanish to allow for moving forward. Older releases prior to 2.2 may cease to work properly (or not at all) with the new releases of BotBanish.

Update Release & Information: https://randemsystems.com/support/index.php#c18

-Rock Lee-

Quote from: Randem on February 18, 2018, 05:34:23 PM
IMPORTANT UPDATE: All users should update to the latest release of BotBanish to allow for moving forward. Older releases prior to 2.2 may cease to work properly (or not at all) with the new releases of BotBanish.

Update Release & Information: https://randemsystems.com/support/index.php#c18

It's good to know ... the question is does an update apply or is there a previous package for the latest version?

Regards!

Randem

Quote from: Rock Lee on February 19, 2018, 09:31:26 PM

It's good to know ... the question is does an update apply or is there a previous package for the latest version?

Regards!

There is no per say "Update" there is only the latest release. It is an uninstall of the old version and a install of the latest version. You will lose nothing on the uninstall and re-install, all previous information is retained. Although more functionality is gained with the new install.

-Rock Lee-

Quote from: Randem on February 19, 2018, 10:14:08 PM
There is no per say "Update" there is only the latest release. It is an uninstall of the old version and a install of the latest version. You will lose nothing on the uninstall and re-install, all previous information is retained. Although more functionality is gained with the new install.

Ahh great then and tomorrow I will try to update it on the test page I have to see how it behaves, it is already late today and I had to fight with my page enough ... it's time to sleep a bit :P

Regards!

showngo

I did have members stating that they got a White screen when accessing the forum. They would just refresh and get in.   The only thing I did notice is that in the error log was "Sources/BotBanish_DB_Subs_SMF.php Line: 57" was the common error database error in the log.  I have uninstalled with package manager and all seems good.   I will check my backup copy and see it that line is there.   

There is no permanent changes to my forum and no critical errors, only a need to refresh the users screen to get in like normal. 

Randem

showngo,

Without the version number of the package you have installed, complete error message or the source code area, it would be just a guess. When reporting error it is ALWAYS a good idea to include the version of software you are using to help you get answers. Different version may have different line numbers... The more information that you give the more information there is to give to you. That would be the only way to resolve if you need to update your version or there is a conflict with another installed package.

More info here

Advertisement: