News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

BotBanish Firewall Client

Started by Randem, November 17, 2017, 11:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyh

Thank you so much for all the time spent in solving this issue.
The logs show some interesting attempts to access the site.

Please let me know how I can repay you for your time.

Best,
Sonny

Randem

Thank You. No need for repayment; You helped me solve some things that I have not seen before. I appreciate your assistance. Make sure all the spiders are removed from the Whitelist and add the domains to the blacklist of any spider that you do not want on your site. Those list are different from the global list on the server.
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

sonnyh

Black list question.
If I blacklist an ISP like UPCNET.RO will that block all IP addresses associated with it?
Is there a way to block blocks of IP addresses like with .htaccess?

Randem

Yes, you can place that domain in the domain blacklist. If enough bad hits happen from an IP segment, the whole segment will be automatically blocked in the .htaccess file.

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

sonnyh

sub0

Hi Randem

I recently installed BotBasnish and then Uninstalled it. After Uninstall it is constantly generating Errors and more then 500 Errors I can see in Error Log generated by BotBanish.

The uninstalled plugin is generating different errors. few examples are below. Kindly help to fix it.
Reason to uninstall plugin was: That I felt it was stopping Google Crawlers to stop crawl and indexing in Google and also I noticed, it was slowing down forums.

The callable BotBanishClient_AddActions could not be called.
Hook call: function "BotBanishClient_AddMenuButtons" in file /home/public_html could not be called.
The callable BotBanishClient_AddMenuButtons could not be called.
Missing argument 1 for BotBanishGetLocalIPList(), called in /home/public_html/Packages/temp/DatabaseUninstall.php on line 27 and defined
2: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/public_html/Sources/BotBanish_Subs_DB_SMF.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')

above are few examples of errors and there 100s of like this more...

kindly help!

Randem

Aloha sub0,

I need more information from you in order to help.

What version of BotBanish do you have? You should be on BotBanish version 3.3.02. The error you show should should not have happened AFTER install but should have happened on install if the Package Manager stated that there were errors. Those error indicate a problem with installation that should not have been allowed to continued. It looks like files are not where they are supposed to be.

BotBanish does NOT stop Goggle crawlers period. What BotBanish does is stop BOTs that spoof Google crawlers. You would not know the difference by just looking at the name. On the internet everything can be spoofed... As far as slowing down the forum, that should be expected if you have bots that are hitting your site. As far as known legitimate users they would not notice the difference unless the BOTs are hitting your site with any frequency; which is why I believe you wanted to install BotBanish.

Manually removing BotBanish: https://randemsystems.com/support/botbanish-general-questions-report-bugs-problems-etc/manually-removing-botbanish/

Have you been to the support site for BotBanish. It would have answered many question. I will help you get things straightened out. I would need to see your .htaccess file.

sonnyh

Hi,
I have the self register turned off.
Is there a way to remove the "Register" button?
If not is there a way to change the message that pops up when register is selected?

Randem

BotBanish does not have a register button...

sonnyh

Thank you,

Another issue regarding spider blacklist.
This one has not been blocked.
Who's Online:
Google (AdSense) (107.175.153.217)

Error messages from IP 107.175.153.217
107.175.153.217   Guest   Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 550 No such recipient here

?action=help   Today at 01:05:37 AM
107.175.153.217   Guest   8192: Function create_function() is deprecated
?action=register   June 08, 2019, 10:06:25 PM

Note there were 28 of these.

This IP was not added to the blacklist.
Also, in doing some research Mediapartners-Google is supposed to block Google AdSense, which is already in the Spider Blacklist.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Randem

Those messages have nothing to do with BotBanish. You are running PHP 7.x which is why you are getting those messages from SMF. SMF is good for up to PHP 5.6.x. As far as your spider blacklist, I have no idea of what is in your spider blacklist to give a qualified answer.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

To correct that a bit, create_function() is deprecated in 7.2, and SMF does not yet support 7.2. (7.1 should be OK.)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

sonnyh

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Wouldn't be the first time servers lie, where did you check that?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

sonnyh

There is a switch.
I will give my host a call to be sure.

sonnyh

Quote from: sonnyh on July 08, 2019, 01:06:09 PM
There is a switch.
I will give my host a call to be sure.

They verified that PHP version 5.6.40 is running on the server

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, 5.6 will not cause the error that create_function() is deprecated, because in 5.6 it is not.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

sonnyh

Ok,
The only versions that are available to me on the server are 5.6.40 and 7.2.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

sonnyh

Advertisement: