News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Regular Members

Started by skb, November 24, 2017, 04:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

What is the membergroup called Regular Members.

When I access my Permissions page, I see the Regular Members in the list, but when I go into Edit Membergroups, I do not see the Regular Members group listed there.

The genesis of my query - I created a post count based group called Pending. This group has very restricted permissions. All posts have to be approved by moderators before they can be seen. But I see that new members (who compulsorily belong to this group) can make posts which bypass the Moderation requirement and their posts are visible. Are they somehow inheriting permissions from Regular Members, and that is why this issue ?   

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Arantor

Regular Members is everyone who doesn't have a primary membergroup assigned to them. They have to go *somewhere* in the interim; the database requires it have something there for primary membergroup.

skb

So is it a good idea to keep the most restrictive of permissions for Regular Members, since the other membergroups are using Unique Permissions.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Arantor

Not exactly.

There are three areas to consider: post count group, primary group and additional groups. The permissions of all three are potentially considered.

If a user has no primary group, they will have the permissions assigned from the Regular Members group, otherwise they will have the permissions from the primary group. This holds true whether a group inherits permissions or not.

Any additional groups they may have, those permissions will be added too, then lastly the post count group.

All permissions are generally just added onto the list - unless deny permissions are set in which case, if a permission is denied they can't have it no matter what group they're in, otherwise if any one group gives them the permission, they have it.

Without knowing how you've set it up I have no idea whether you will get what you hope to get out of it.

skb

Quote from: skb on November 24, 2017, 04:48:10 AM
What is the membergroup called Regular Members.

When I access my Permissions page, I see the Regular Members in the list, but when I go into Edit Membergroups, I do not see the Regular Members group listed there.

The genesis of my query - I created a post count based group called Pending. This group has very restricted permissions. All posts have to be approved by moderators before they can be seen. But I see that new members (who compulsorily belong to this group) can make posts which bypass the Moderation requirement and their posts are visible. Are they somehow inheriting permissions from Regular Members, and that is why this issue ?   

Turns out, this was exactly the problem. restricted Regular Member permissions. Now the Pending group is behaving as it should.
Marking Solved.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Advertisement: