News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Is member IP address of their mail server?

Started by jjsmith, November 29, 2017, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjsmith

Hi,

Is a member's IP address that of their email server, or specific to that person?

I was surprised to discover that I have several hundred members with the same IP address.  If not the IP of an email server, then how is that possible?

Thanks,
Josh

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: jjsmith on November 29, 2017, 03:38:09 PM
Hi,

Is a member's IP address that of their email server, or specific to that person?

I was surprised to discover that I have several hundred members with the same IP address.  If not the IP of an email server, then how is that possible?

Thanks,
Josh
There are many possible explanations to this. You might want to track that IP, see who it belongs to. That might give you an idea on the cause.
It can be something wrong on your hosts side, or it can be something else.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

The issue is because of a load balancer that doesn't forward the IP properly.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Arantor on December 21, 2017, 04:57:40 PM
The issue is because of a load balancer that doesn't forward the IP properly.
Yeah, that would be the something wrong on the hosts side. :)
And it is the most probable cause, yes.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: