Cannot migrate or install. Please help

Started by jrb3065, December 20, 2017, 01:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrb3065

I am so sorry to bother you all. I am trying everything in the world here but cannot seem to get this to work.

I have a forum up and running, not a lot of traffic, but "I" like it anyway...heh

So, I am being hosted by G******... and have been for like 13 years but tired of the "service" and cost so decided to swap to Blue..

I was TOLD they support SMF, but when I finally found the "install script" it was an old 2.0.1 version.

So, removed that.

I was on G****** and I could never upgrade after a certain point as it would break and they refused to assist saying they do not support it.

Anyway, so I am ON 2.0.6 on G site.

I am trying to set up a blank DB on Blue and import the database to that site. NOT easy since they have a naming convention for the databases.. but.. doable.. IF I could get a version of 2.0.6 working. I cannot. I get:

"PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ftp_connection has a deprecated constructor"

and I am not sure where the heck to go with that.

I would LIKE to get up and working on a totally up to date copy of SMF.. but.. I do not want to lose years of posts etc on the 2.0.6

Anyone have experience with Blue and the interface etc?

Sorry.. totally at a loss atm.

Thanks for any help and sorry to bother you all.

Merry Christmas no matter what.

Russ

Black Tiger

Quoteand I could never upgrade after a certain point as it would break
What exactly does break? What happens if you try to upgrade form 2.06 to let's say 2.07 or 2.08 on your current host?

As for Blue... it looks like they are working with php 7.x. Check if there is an option to switch to an older version of php like php 5.6. That still supports the FTP stuff and then you should be able to upgrade.
Greetings, Black Tiger

jrb3065

Ya know? I have not tried to manually upgrade on G-- lately. Let me try that and see if I can get it to work. That may be a better answer.

Always better to walk away.. eat some fajitas.. and then come back ;)

Thanks! lol

Russ

jrb3065

Quote from: Black Tiger on December 20, 2017, 01:57:39 PM
Quoteand I could never upgrade after a certain point as it would break
What exactly does break? What happens if you try to upgrade form 2.06 to let's say 2.07 or 2.08 on your current host?

As for Blue... it looks like they are working with php 7.x. Check if there is an option to switch to an older version of php like php 5.6. That still supports the FTP stuff and then you should be able to upgrade.

Okay... I manually upgraded each version from 2.0.6 to 2.0.14. While the forum looks like it took just fine, the HOST still says it is 2.0.6.. so, I think I can do a backup and import the database into my new forum. Going to read online the best way to do that so I bring over all the members, rights, configurations etc.

Russ

Illori

in what way is your host saying it is 2.0.6? i bet there is a file somewhere that states the version and it is taking it from there instead of from SMF itself.

if that is the only way your host will determine the version i would go find a new host.

jrb3065

Godaddy has a cPanel area where you see the "Premium Apps" When you go in there, you see how many you have installed and then "Manage". There, it lists each and usually has an option to upgrade, downgrade, backup, uninstall, details.

Ever since we made it to 2.0.6, the only options were uninstall, details, and revert to 2.0.4

BUT.. I now am looking at the forum itself and it shows 2.0.14

Working on backing up the entire site. Been paying month to month waiting on a "deal" better than 13.99 a month. They do not have one, even if I pay for 3 years at a time, so.. finally had enough and am moving.. heh

Hoping Bluehost is better

Russ

Illori

they are part of Endurance International Group, so i can guarantee you will be looking for a new host very soon.

jrb3065

Quote from: Illori on December 20, 2017, 06:28:21 PM
they are part of Endurance International Group, so i can guarantee you will be looking for a new host very soon.

Bluehost is? What is Endurance International?

What is a better host? Godaddy just flat out has dropped in quality over the years to where nothing works the second you touch it.

Russ

Ronald_1938

Quote from: jrb3065 on December 20, 2017, 08:26:41 PM
Quote from: Illori on December 20, 2017, 06:28:21 PM

Bluehost is? What is Endurance International?

What is a better host? Godaddy just flat out has dropped in quality over the years to where nothing works the second you touch it.

Russ

I have use this host for many years, always been good to me, support is also excellent. I have an Ultimate Premium plan for 6.99 a month. Check them out:  https://ifastnet.com/index.php

And on this support forum, there is always someone that will jump in and help you out with any problems..Sometimes they'll even do the work for you if your stuck.

Ron.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: jrb3065 on December 20, 2017, 08:26:41 PM
Godaddy just flat out has dropped in quality over the years to where nothing works the second you touch it.

That's putting it kindly. :P  Sounds like you used the GoDaddy installer to set up the original forum, not a good idea.  You should be able to dump the database with their backup feature, do that first, then do a complete file backup via FTP.  When you have that, take a look at Crocweb, I've been with them for over a year after 20 years with same host, they're very good, and their support is excellent.  For a small forum you can use their basic package, and they'll help you with the move.  If you need further assistance, shoot me a pm.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SaltedWeb

I only have used GD to support my domains.
I have been using Host for Web since their inception what I like about them is the upgrade servers often, so your
not stuck with 2010 technology. I pay out three years at a time there and get a real good deal.
As you can see there are a few real good companies out there and most are not found in these market list.
I hosted one time with GD for a month and at once moved it to HFW.
In my opinion if GD spent as much time on there hardware and support as they did on sleezy ads they would be both great and have a great reputation. Now they have neither.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

jrb3065

Well, I paid 3 years worth of Bluehost, so will try it out...

You know what I am noticing about them? If I can click any link on their site and it sits there.. what the heck does that say about the speed of MY website?

I am checking out crochost atm..

br360

Personally when trying out a new (to you) host, get a plan either month to month or quarterly. It may be more expensive that way but at least you aren't stuck with a host that doesn't work for you. If things work out, then change the payment plan to something more long term.

Also, I recommend searching various web hosting reviews sites and reading real reviews of any host you are considering. Be careful of course as there are review sites out there that have numerous "great reviews" from anonymous sources as well as sites that recommend hosting companies that are sponsors or pay their bills ;)

Black Tiger

Glad you fixed it by doing it manually.
By the way, I just read the rest of the thread. Just a tip for the future, don't use hosting providers apps/installers anymore. It's just better and safer to do the installations and updates manually.

Good luck with a new host.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Sir Osis of Liver

FWIW, I've worked on at least one forum on Bluehost (don't remember which one), didn't have any major problems.  Have moved several forums off GoDaddy.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: