No permission to install Packages ??

Started by showngo, November 26, 2017, 05:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

showngo

I can upload anything I want to but when I attempt to "install"  I get this error  You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!
     I did not change anything and the setting are for all writable.   Funny thing is  under the permissions section  there are the listed folders.     Themes , sources, ect.   They are clickable to see the folders inside.  PACKAGES is not even though there are the installed packages.

Sir Osis of Liver

What are the permissions for /Packages and subdirectories?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

showngo

In the permissions section they are marked as "writable"

Sir Osis of Liver

Should be chmod: 0755.  Can you check it with ftp client?  The Packages folder in File Permissions does not display subs, that's normal.

- R. Waters

showngo

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 26, 2017, 05:48:13 PM
Should be chmod: 0755.  Can you check it with ftp client?  The Packages folder in File Permissions does not display subs, that's normal.

The folder is Writable, 0755
I have tried changing, saving and re-changing and saving.,   No luck. 
I also have no outgoing emails with php and STMP .  Im wondering if I have a core file messed up and should run a upgrade.php to attempt to overwrite / fix it.
Repair settings have all the correct paths.

Thoughts??

Sir Osis of Liver

upgrade.php upgrades the database, nothing to do with forum files or permissions.  You can uplaod a clean set of files, but don't think that will solve your problem.   If email is also not working, you may have server problem.  Who is your host?

- R. Waters

shawnb61

One thing to try:  See if creating a subfolder named temp under /Packages helps.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

showngo

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 26, 2017, 11:04:59 PM
upgrade.php upgrades the database, nothing to do with forum files or permissions.  You can uplaod a clean set of files, but don't think that will solve your problem.   If email is also not working, you may have server problem.  Who is your host?
Godaddy   i have about 3 hrs of on the phone with them going through all the outgoing mail settings.  They say the forum is not generating mail.
Running the pkp script, the server kicks out an email no problem.

Illori

does this work for you?

Quote from: south_paw on November 25, 2017, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: mchero on October 26, 2016, 02:13:53 AM

Tonight I call and get a Tech who really wanted to help.

He first suggested that we change the SMTP server to; relay-hosting.secureserver.net
Port 25
NO USERNAME
NO PASSWORD

Wow... finally. All I had to do was what I highlighted above and it worked!  Thank you! I have been fighting this for almost a year!

showngo

I will give it a try       I will also try  "NO USER"    "NO PASS"    the forum keep wanting to autofill    Might need to dump the cookies too.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi, are you still having this issue? Have you tried the solutions above?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ChaosEnergy

thanks

i treied so often to get 2 0 14 installed, and always had issues, i forgot about it

now i tried again, needed to make an empty proxy.php

and then still issues..until i created the temp folder....never needed before
Chaos Empire ®

ChaosEnergy

i was to early, it says packages inmstalled...but version is still .013 and next upgrade is always 14, with same result...never had issues up to 2.0.13, but this 14 relese drives me crazy again
Chaos Empire ®

Sir Osis of Liver

Is package manager showing errors when you try to install the patch?

- R. Waters

showngo

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 21, 2017, 05:49:43 AM
Hi, are you still having this issue? Have you tried the solutions above?

On my issue , yes it is.  Doing a few different tracerts I found that I was on the blacklist for on ports access the server.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That sounds odd, and I'm not really sure how that would come in to play if you are trying to use the package manager.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

showngo

Shared server for hosting black listed my IP, i could not upload/write from my Area.
I was told i had tpo much FTP traffic that caused a trigger. 

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

showngo

Quote from: Kindred on March 22, 2018, 07:24:51 AM
sounds like an idiot of a host

Godaddy    what ya expect.    But cheap.      Amazon has some great looking hosting, Im running a test forum to see how it is.

Advertisement: