News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

HELP - 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 upgrade failure

Started by CurtisS, November 27, 2017, 11:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtisS

Hello,
I hate to tag onto an existing thread but my issue is similar to the OP's after updating through Package Manager from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14. I updated to PHP 5.6 but now I see a error 500 server error. I am unable to get past this and I am not a PHP expert but could certainly use any suggestions. I have searched the forums for similar problems but none of that information helped.
Thanks.
CurtisS

[edit]topic split. - Illori

CurtisS

Apologies for tagging onto another thread and thanks for splitting it.
The original error after the update was:
Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /forum/Sources/Load.php on line 142

After updating PHP from 5.3 to 5.6 I now see only a 500 server error.
Thanks.
CurtisS

drewactual

there was another recent thread where a user had some whacked compression/decompression take place... basically, one of the files removed white space where there was white space required. 

there should always be a space after 'php' in the opening line.  anytime a single line comment '//' is made there has to be a line break when code restarts.  in his case, it crammed a part of a commented out line into to next making a term that doesn't exist in PHP- hence, it wasn't parsed...

it may be of interest to peek at load.php and see if something like this occurred with your attempted update as well.

on another note, i may be wrong and i hope someone will set me straight if i am- but 5.6 isn't the issue- jumping yo 7.x is the issue with versions prior to .14 if i'm not mistaken.  they're part of the same php package via apache, but they have differences that matter. 

Shambles

CurtisS

The hosting is through GoDaddy. Using a suggestion in another thread I renamed the "Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php~" by removing the ~ and I also renamed the "Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php" to "Sources/Subs-Db-mysql-old.php" (just in case). This brought the forum back but now when trying to log into Admin functions I see:
"Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

So I still have some work to do. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

drewactual

you need to add a sessions check to your index.template for that theme...

find:
<input type="hidden" name="hash_passwrd" value="" />

replace with:
<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

CurtisS

Wow. This one is being difficult. I modified the "index.template.php" and the "login.template.php" with the Form fix to no avail. I can log-in using the Home login but when I try to access Admin functions I get a login dialog and this is where I see the Session error. I will see the Session error when I try to log out as well. Perhaps I have a strange mix of 2.0.13 and 2.0.14 files since I had problems trying to update to 2.0.14.
Thanks.

drewactual

may need to send an SOS to Sir Osis, and i've never seen or heard of this.. but... check your admin.template for that form fix too?

CurtisS

The "admin.template.php" file was not updated with 2.0.14. There are quite a few <form> tags in this file. Do I need to add the code to each form? I am not actually sure the the 2.0.14 is being used and I cannot find a way to see the version since I cannot login to Admin functions.

drewactual

just find and replace as mentioned above and see if it remedies the situation... it's a hack, but one that may get you going again.... if it doesn't work, no harm no foul, just replace with the original code... if it does work, then good- but like a fuse, it didn't get wonky on it's own... we'll need to figure out why..

CurtisS

None of these suggestions have helped. I have been searching through the forums for enlightenment but am pretty running into the ideas. Is there a way to switch themes outside of the Admin functions?

Illori

Quote from: CurtisS on November 27, 2017, 12:35:59 PM
The hosting is through GoDaddy. Using a suggestion in another thread I renamed the "Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php~" by removing the ~ and I also renamed the "Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php" to "Sources/Subs-Db-mysql-old.php" (just in case). This brought the forum back but now when trying to log into Admin functions I see:
"Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

So I still have some work to do. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!
by doing this you are now mixing file versions and you have lost the support for mysqli that was added to SMF 2.0.14. you need to put the files back as they were. you should be checking the server error log to get the cause of the error and looking to fix that.

CurtisS

I would check the server error log but I cannot log into the Admin functions. Switching back to the original "Sub-Db-mysql.php" file results in a server error 500 but I will take a closer look at it.
Thanks for responding.
CurtisS

Illori

the server error log is on the server not within SMF.

CurtisS

Quote from: Illori on November 27, 2017, 04:11:30 PM
the server error log is on the server not within SMF.
Right. Looks like I will need to wait a day to see the logs from today. This all started with a failed update this morning.
Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

GoDaddy does bad things to some Source files, but shouldn't have affected your forum if you patched 2.0.13 -> 2.0.14 using package manager.  Upgrade failed initially because 2.0.14 will not run in php 5.3.  If you renamed .php~ files to .php, you've reverted those files to 2.0.13, so, as Illori pointed out, you have a mix of .13 and .14 files.

Look in /Packages/backups, you should find a package manager backup from before 2.0.14 install.  Download, unzip, upload to forum root.  It should restort your forum to 2.0.13.  Once you have it up and running, you should be able to patch to .14 successfully. 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

CurtisS

Thanks for the response Sir Osis.
I did go to the backup created when the 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 update was run and uploaded those files to forum. The login/logout (Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again) issues remain. I must have missed something as you think overwriting all of the files would have done the trick.

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you having the login problem in Curve or a custom theme?  If it's a custom theme, you need to do this -

Quote from: drewactual on November 27, 2017, 12:38:49 PM
you need to add a sessions check to your index.template for that theme...

find:

replace with:
<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

- R. Waters

CurtisS

I have tried to revert back to 2.0.13. This code does not exist in my themes index.template file but is was working before.
I did mention earlier that I am able to login on the initial index page so I can view my profile, etc. However, I cannot logout, post, or access Admin functions (it asks for password once again and I get a session error).

Sir Osis of Liver

The session check (second line of code) was added in 2.0.14.  If you uploaded the package backup via FTP to a GoDaddy account, some of the /Sources files may have been deleted.  Try uploading the backup with cpanel file manager.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: