Copyright.

Started by mistyisty.pro, November 16, 2017, 05:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistyisty.pro

Hello,

I'm wondering whether it's possible to remove the copyright notice at the bottom of the forums, however I don't want to permanently remove it since I want SMF to be credited as they made the forums. Is it allowed to remove the copyright and credit them in a sticky thread for everyone to see? Same with mods?

Dzonny

Hey there,

You may remove copyright from your forum, but we can't guarantee that you'll be receiving support here on forum, if needed.
As for the mods - we can't tell exactly, as it depends of the mods licence itself.

Steve

I can almost guarantee you won't receive support from the Support Team unless the copyright is where it's supposed to be. And all the mod authors I know feel the same about their mods.

Having said that, you said you don't want to permanently remove it ... how long are you talking for?

And are we talking about a 2.1 forum (not that it matters in regards to your questions)?
DO NOT pm me for support!

vbgamer45

Depends on the mods. Some don't allow it.  I allow it with my mods with paid copyright removal https://www.smfhacks.com/copyright_removal.php
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Steve

I should have made that clear myself. Thanks for the clarification vb. :)

Irisado

Quote from: Steve on November 16, 2017, 05:50:13 PM
And are we talking about a 2.1 forum (not that it matters in regards to your questions)?

Their forum uses 2.0.14.

Also, it does matter because the rules regarding copyright are different for 1.1 and 2.0 versions of the software.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Steve

Thanks Irisado.

I see no copyright at all now so further support is unlikely.

Arantor

They also broke the package manager from functioning correctly in so doing, which amused me.

EDIT: Now I'm not on mobile. So not content with removing SMF's copyright (and breaking the package manager at least looking at how it was done on the credits page), and using SimplePortal without their credits, they're almost certainly violating the licence of the FacePunch mod they bought. Oh and the modified Dzinerstudio theme doesn't have a credit even if Dzinerstudio isn't around any more, and unless you were a customer a year ago, you have an illegally obtained theme as well.

Good going.

landyvlad

ROFLMAO - what a shame... :D

To anyone reading the OP, the correct way to do it is leave the existing copyrights in place, and if you want your own, simply add them using the "Copyright and Footer Links" mod.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: