News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Host attachments on a different server

Started by confuseamuse, November 30, 2017, 01:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

confuseamuse

Is there any way to host attachments on an external server? The server that my SMF install is hosted from isn't very large, and I'd like to keep it's storage space as free as possible to prevent limitations that may slow down the forum in future due to a filled hard drive.

I've been trying to work out how to do this effectively, and it seems to be unclear. I have two servers already, with one specifically designed to host files with it's much larger storage space. However, I haven't been able to find any guidance in doing so in the documentation.

Illori

showngo

From what I have seen from trying, the links to the posts and images (Attachments) and embedded in the Database for the same server location.  Even with changing the link in the attachments settings, SMF can not access outside its own host. 

The only way around this is with hyperlinks and that is a ROYAL PITA to outside host all that information. 

My forum I needed to go with an an unlimited inodes but set disk size due to having 14 attachment folders.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could do something like this https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1669

But that would mean custom coding, and a lot of effort.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: