Is there a simple way to duplicate a forum I have for another site I have?

Started by SaltedWeb, November 30, 2017, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltedWeb

I have a questions, how hard is it or how does one copy their existing forum to another place under a different domain.

Why?  I have two sites with very common interested but one is nation wide USA geographically and the
other is mostly on the US - West Coast.  They are however two separate entities and are run under different names.
I own both of them and the domains. I have been so pleased with the new SMF release and the new site I created I wanted to open up a more local one which I already have a domain and was in a reboot for this next year and wanted the same look, theme and mods.
I could simply open one install a theme and mods and be done however I have done some edits to the CSS and Subs which took me some time and would prefer not to do it all over again.  The key files I manually edited were Subs.php Index.css  index.template.php
Can I just copy those three files over after all the addons and theme are done is is there a different better way. Thanks
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

AllanD

Not sure how to do but are you looking to migrate the posts and topics? If so you would need to move some of the database over as well.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Gwenwyfar

If your concern is only the files/themes/edits, you can install the new forum, and once it is set up copy all the files over. (may need to skip settings.php file though)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

SaltedWeb

Quote from: AllanD on November 30, 2017, 06:42:25 PM
Not sure how to do but are you looking to migrate the posts and topics? If so you would need to move some of the database over as well.

I only just setup the site so only categories are set, no posts or anything.  I had other sites on these domains and doing a  fresh reboot of them both.
Quote from: Gwenwyfar on November 30, 2017, 06:49:09 PM
If your concern is only the files/themes/edits, you can install the new forum, and once it is set up copy all the files over. (may need to skip settings.php file though)

Thank you thats what I was wanting to know.  Thank you both for your fast replies.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

SaltedWeb

Thank You again once installed it took just ten minutes to match it all up. Thank You.

Advertisement: