News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Copying theme for use on another forum

Started by Ed2, November 30, 2017, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed2

What is the process to copy a theme from one SMF 2.0.x forum to another SMF 2.0.x forum? The theme is no longer listed or supported but I really would like to use it in the other forum.

Gwenwyfar

You can copy that theme's folder inside /Themes onto your new forum, and after you've done that, go to "install new theme from folder" admin area.

It is possible the package itself could still be there too, so you could use that if it is.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Illori

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 01, 2017, 07:20:57 AM
You can copy that theme's folder inside /Themes onto your new forum, and after you've done that, go to "install new theme from folder" admin area.

if any mods were installed on the theme this may cause issues on the new install as they will not exist.

Gwenwyfar

Ah, true, forgot about that. I don't usually install any :P

Better to try to find the original package first then.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Ed2

It is possible the package itself could still be there too, so you could use that if it is.

I have a practice site and may try this. Really like the them (Balanced) on my site www.RustyBowtie.com and would like to use it on my truck forum...the layout is perfect.  Of course the author is no longer available and for some reason the "Balanced" theme is the only one I can't locate in my stored files :-\

Did locate the theme on this site...but it won't load properly...says it's missing files.

https://www.template4all.com/free-smf-themes/5135-free-magazine-style-smf-theme-template.html

Been trying various themes from SMF but none lay out like Balanced.  Have Ancient and Rusted installed now at www.3500HD.com and I can work with it however - it may be me - but does the font appear small? ALSO where would I change the color of the "drop down menu's" at the top?  It's hard to see them now.

Thanks

richardwbb

Yes, the font appears way smaller, "Advanced Search" is hardly readable onmy phone. The font of topics shown is smaller then the font you are reading now. For "Forum Stats", that font appears the same size than the font you are reading now.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Ed2 on December 15, 2017, 09:35:19 AM

I have a practice site and may try this. Really like the them (Balanced) on my site www.RustyBowtie.com and would like to use it on my truck forum...the layout is perfect.  Of course the author is no longer available and for some reason the "Balanced" theme is the only one I can't locate in my stored files :-\

On the RustyBowtie forum, go to Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Theme settings
Note the "Theme directory (templates):" information for the theme.

You can copy this whole folder over to your other forum's /Themes folder, and it will be installable through
Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Manage and install, with the "From a directory on the server:" option.

Do note that any edits or modifications done on the original site will carry over to the new site, so you may be in for some manual cleaning this way.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ed2

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 22, 2017, 08:30:46 AM
Quote from: Ed2 on December 15, 2017, 09:35:19 AM

On the RustyBowtie forum, go to Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Theme settings
Note the "Theme directory (templates):" information for the theme.

You can copy this whole folder over to your other forum's /Themes folder, and it will be installable through
Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Manage and install, with the "From a directory on the server:" option.

Do note that any edits or modifications done on the original site will carry over to the new site, so you may be in for some manual cleaning this way.

THANKS...finally had the time to load it on my practice forum <go838.com> and it looks great. Just need to change the header picture and category icons.  I'll work on a different header in the practice forum then copy the finished file to it's final destination.  REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ed2

Lex

Everything was going great...changed the header and category icons (and was very pleased) then copied the theme from my practice forum to the 3500HD -but- the theme won't work. So I go back to the practice forum and now it won't work there either :-\  I tried downloading several fresh copies of the theme to another practice forum and it just won't work The theme still works great within the original donor site.

It's like the original theme file becomes contaminated once it's moved, tries deleting the theme copies and re-installing them, SMF says they were installed successfully and no errors are reported.  When I install that theme the page just won't display correctly.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ed2

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 24, 2017, 05:17:34 PM
How does it not work?

It appears to be loading a core theme instead..attached screen shots. Also in my practice forum with fresh copy of SMF 2.0.15 it shows the theme but does not respond to the selection. It does say it loaded successfully.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you check the paths in theme settings?

- R. Waters

Ed2

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 24, 2017, 10:04:58 PM
Did you check the paths in theme settings?

I think you may be on to something..it does the same thing when I attempt to load other SMF Themes...can't work on it right now.  Busy with holiday duties but will look into it as time permits.

Thanks...

Sir Osis of Liver

Looking at your second screenshot, it appears to be a mix of more than one theme, most likely css from one is being used with different theme.  Try running repair_settings, or check the theme paths in Admin -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings.  It's also possible you've somehow mixed up the files.

- R. Waters

Ed2

My problem was the installation process, normally I upload the theme file from my PC. On this occasion I copied the file within CPanel and when I went to install it via the forum..I didn't point the upload in the correct direction.  The forum is 100% again...

Thank You  Sir Osis of Liver and Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen! ;)

Advertisement: