Send this to members even if they have chosen not to receive announcements

Started by Kiriakos GR, December 02, 2017, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiriakos GR

Currently as Forum Admin ,  I am unable to see at --> Manage Members -->  View All Members

One valuable to me information and this is a listing of which members they have chosen not to receive announcements .
Is any one familiar?  of any mod that can add this information.

New listing example with have:  ID , Username, Display name, Email Address, IP address,  Last Online,  Posts , + Newsletter

At my Blog - Forum, I do gentle use of Newsletter, no more than four per year.

-Rock Lee-

Is it to say that he receives the newsletter in a forced way? Or can you be misunderstanding it?

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Kiriakos GR

My motives of asking such a feature are quite simple.

Practically it is useful for troubleshooting purposes when a novice member does not receive newsletters because he accidentally select ( in his profile ) Not to receive any.

Secondly it is good to know (for the administrator) of how many they do wish to accepts his news letters.

Thirdly, new members whom selects right away to Not-accepts News letters,  this is an alert that this account it is a Bot and a potential thread to forum security.
One fresh real member he likes to follow news and announcements of the community that he gladly joined.

Arantor

QuoteThirdly, new members whom selects right away to Not-accepts News letters,  this is an alert that this account it is a Bot

Oh goody, I'm a bot now, because I don't want yet more email rubbish in my inbox.

Torngate

I personally don't think this is something I'd want, for the simple reason of if I'm on a server and I choose not to receive announcements, it's because I *don't want to get stuff* from the site. But as to if it's possible, I'm sure it is somehow.
Site Administrator- Shadow Fleet Star Trek RPG

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: Arantor on December 04, 2017, 05:57:18 PM
QuoteThirdly, new members whom selects right away to Not-accepts News letters,  this is an alert that this account it is a Bot

Oh goody, I'm a bot now, because I don't want yet more email rubbish in my inbox.

I bet that you do not actually try new flavor of ice-creams because of their appearance in their picture.
Either way,  my request this is about another assistance tool, this improving forum administration and troubleshooting of users complains.

They are countless messages at SMF boards with the title : My members does not get newsletters ....                                                     

While it is hard to help young kids (administrators) so them to gain awareness of NOWADAYS (2017) credentials compliance that their email server should comply to, so such forum communications to not be classified as SPAM due major email service providers.
My suggestion for the addition of such capability,  will help thousands FRESH forum administrators so them to gain awareness that nothing is wrong with SMF forum engine (regarding settings).

Arantor

Pfft, I try new forums regularly. I object to you labelling me something just because it doesn't fit your world view. I suspect a number of your members feel the same.

As for "members aren't getting newsletters", configuring mail properly is hard and almost no one does it fully around here because it's out of scope to do half the time, and as such it won't get delivered even to spam.

Go implement proper MX records, SPF records, DKIM records then tell me if you don't have proper email delivery.

Gwenwyfar

Whenever given the option I also always disable all emails other than useful notifications. Just because someone is registered to your site doesn't mean they want more inbox spam.

I'm sure having a list of who disabled newsletters has its uses but if someone doesn't want to receive newsletters, don't send it to them. I think the force-send to everyone is more suited to important/urgent notices.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Steve

I'm not seeing force-sending as a desire in Kiriakos' posts. I've read them as wanting just an indicator.

I could be wrong, of course.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

Arantor

Quote from: Steve on December 07, 2017, 02:44:08 PM
I'm not seeing force-sending as a desire in Kiriakos' posts. I've read them as wanting just an indicator.

Because the subject "send this to members even if they have chosen not to receive announcements" was so misleading? Also, cue the popcorn with either CAN-SPAM or the stuff coming next year with GDPR.

Steve

Quote from: Arantor on December 07, 2017, 04:08:11 PMBecause the subject "send this to members even if they have chosen not to receive announcements" was so misleading? Also, cue the popcorn with either CAN-SPAM or the stuff coming next year with GDPR.

Aw man ... I blame the aliens ...
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kiriakos GR

Exactly ..  I am wanting this missing indicator.
I an Blogger and content creator  (electrical - electronics Test and measurement sector).

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: Arantor on December 07, 2017, 04:08:11 PM

Because the subject "send this to members even if they have chosen not to receive announcements" was so misleading? Also, cue the popcorn with either CAN-SPAM or the stuff coming next year with GDPR.

There is nothing misleading here .... this is (Copy-Paste)  the description of text at SMF board.
There is no Ghosts here .
And you better user regular expressions as respond to others, because us foreigners what we are unable to understand we baptized as irony.     

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 07, 2017, 09:45:22 AM
Whenever given the option I also always disable all emails other than useful notifications. Just because someone is registered to your site doesn't mean they want more inbox spam.

I'm sure having a list of who disabled newsletters has its uses but if someone doesn't want to receive newsletters, don't send it to them. I think the force-send to everyone is more suited to important/urgent notices.

Practically at SMF as is designed, one Administrator with out moral values he can misuse members even directly.
And funny enough .... some one even wrote a mod this causing torture at specific member accounts ( Forum runs slow - server busy messages  - and many other tortures  :)   

For me important/urgent notices, these could be relative to verification of  registered members email accounts ( once every year I do clean up).
And four times per year I do notify about sum of addition of new content for them.

I do consider my self as administrator with high moral values.

Arantor

I know the mod you mean. I wrote it, to deal with people who came trouble but if banned would just come back.

I still maintain that under the GDPR, you'd have difficulties in having a legal basis to push your newsletter in the fashion you are suggesting.

Advertisement: