News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Display active webpage in SMF ?

Started by SaltedWeb, December 02, 2017, 12:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltedWeb

Not sure its even possible, bute here is what I am wondering if possible or plausible.

I have at my site a few links that go to a State active website pages that changes periodically. The problem is once you click the link it takes you outside SMF to their website the only way back is to use the back button.
So was wondering is there a way to show a active webpage in SMF. Note I can't just copy and past material to a page in SMF why it is state material and therefore no copyright. It is updated sometimes every day and there are several pages that update so copying the text etc would become a full time job. However if the contents could be seen in the SMF , Board, pages, then the the menu would exist allowing them to move around in SMF like they never left.

I am not looking to over think this process if its a huge under taking probably wont pursue it as my SMF groups run flawless and would want to mess them up.

Thanks

SW

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Sir Osis of Liver

The usual method is to open links in new tab, so forum remains in previous tab.  That's how posted links work here, and in most forums.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SaltedWeb

is there a setting in SMF that does that ??
I was also thinking why most website may do this if its and external link what tells it to open outside the forum?
I tested it and it stays on the same tab in my three test browsers and smart phone.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't think so, that's how it works.  Maybe this.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

In general, using the same window is considered the proper behavior on the modern web. If the users wants to go back, they will use the back button.

Opening a forced new window/tab is the old action and is generally considered a bit forced/rude these days.

That being said, I believe that url bbc opens in a new tab while the iurl bbc opens in the same window
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SaltedWeb

Well I like being a good web custodian, so even though it looks plausible I will reject my plans to do.
I like the internet easy going not rock climbing thru it.  Thanks for the healthy feedback./

Advertisement: