News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Links inside board descriptions?

Started by SaltedWeb, December 02, 2017, 06:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltedWeb

Anyone know of a trick or mod to place links inside a boards description.
I would like to have a short link describing more details about certain boards and
putting the info on the description gets long on some of my boards wondered if such a thing exists.?
Thanks
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can include a <a></a> link in board description.  You could also do something like this forum.  Mouseover the images for each board.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

FYI this functionality will be changed in 2.1 to use bbcode because as it currently is, is potentially a security risk (but that can't be fixed without breaking existing sites)

SaltedWeb

Ok thank you ...........marked solved :-)
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on December 02, 2017, 06:29:55 PM
FYI this functionality will be changed in 2.1 to use bbcode because as it currently is, is potentially a security risk (but that can't be fixed without breaking existing sites)
How so?
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

If html is allowed in board descriptions, bad code can be run...

I'm general, even though it can be done, html should never be included in board descriptions. It can break things
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Kindred on December 02, 2017, 08:27:54 PM

I'm general, even though it can be done, html should never be included in board descriptions. It can break things
Well, that field is mostly for admins, other people won't be editing it. But I see your point, was just curious what was the problem.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

You would be surprised at what some site owners give people access to do
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SaltedWeb

Quote from: Kindred on December 02, 2017, 08:35:00 PM
You would be surprised at what some site owners give people access to do
Thats a good point I have seen people do allot of stuff but then if you look at FB even groups there are often a huge lists of mods and admins.
I recall one such FB group had over 150 Admins and like 300 Mods in a group of about 75K  Can imagine very large SMF groups having allot people with Access. I made the mistake once in Xenforo giving just one access and well that turned into a nightmare. After my Satuday evening dribble here it make perfect sense seeing someone else say it :)

Arantor

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 02, 2017, 08:31:41 PM

Well, that field is mostly for admins, other people won't be editing it. But I see your point, was just curious what was the problem.

A non admin user with manage boards permission could hijack the admin account.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: Arantor on December 03, 2017, 03:39:53 AM
Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 02, 2017, 08:31:41 PM

A non admin user with manage boards permission could hijack the admin account.

That interesting in its self to not add links or modify it to allow that kind of access good to know.

Advertisement: