News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

More than 3 links in a post causes 403 error..?

Started by 19at250, December 03, 2017, 01:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19at250

Hello to all,
I'm a newbee on SMF and PHP so please bear with me.
My test-forum is running SMF 2.015 ( PHP 7.1 ) and so far everything is fine.
I noticed that, in whatever sub-section, when trying to post a topic, it throws up a 403 Forbidden message as soon as the topic contains more than three links.

As an example: I want to post a topic pointing my users to various online AV-scanners so I made multiple links to Housecall, Kaspersky, Panda, Eset, F-Secure.
When I want to post that topic, it comes up with the 403 Forbidden message.

Meanwhile I have tried searching this community before posting this question, have been going through the board-settings numerous times but so far haven't found the answer for this behaviour.

Can anyone point me into the right direction on how to solve this..?
It makes creating manuals and users-guides barely impossible.... ::)

19at250

Thanks for the pointer and I will contact my host about this tomorrow when the helpdesk is available again.

Thing that makes me wonder though is that my new forum is on a .eu domain, just for testing and setup purposes.
The current live-forum is running XMB software ( which is no longer maintained or developed, hence the decision to switch to SMF ) on a .nl domain.
Both sites are with the same host, just different domains.
I don't have this issue in XMB though, I can put over 20 or 50 links in a topic if I wanted to without any errors or issues..?

Also, I have tested this while searching for the cause:
QuoteThe following is an example of a post which would generate an error if mod_security is enabled on a server: Have you ever used cURL? You can find information about it at http://curl.haxx.se/ [nofollow]. More specifically, libcurl is useful for accessing URLs in a program. It could be helpful if you're a programmer.

That didn't cause any problems though so I'm in the dark if mod-security has anything to do with it..

Following mods are currently installed:
Yet Another YouTube BBCode Tag
SMFPacks Ads Manager.
nCode Image Resizer
SMF 2.0.15 Update ( from 2.0.14 ).

19at250

I received an answer from my hoster today and it turned out that "mod_security" appeared to be active and was causing the issue.
They turned it off at my request and now the issue is solved... 8)

Advertisement: