News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Wrong copyright year?

Started by Black Tiger, December 03, 2017, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

It just appeared to me that my forum has the wrong copyright year.
It states:
QuoteSMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
on another forum I do technical administration for it says:
QuoteSMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
which seems a lot better since it's 2017 today. :)

I don't know where this went wrong, maybe with one of the previous updates? How can I fix this?

These are my active mods:
Quote1.    SMF 2.0.14 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    SMF 2.0.12 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Contact Page    3.2    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    SimplePortal    2.3.6    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    SMF 2.0.15 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    SMF 2.0.13 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    YandexGarland    1.2    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    SimplePortal    2.3.7    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.    Remove "Last edit" mod    0.2.5    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.    Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin    4.4.1    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.    Redirection Topics    1.0.3    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.    Downloads System    2.5    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.    Image Upload    1.0.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.    Optimus    1.9.6    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.    Birthday On Register    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.    My Posts SMF2    1.2    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Additional question, the older "SMF 2.0.12 Update    1.0" (same for 2.0.13 and 2.0.14) upgrade patches with only "list files" and "delete", can these safely be deleted?
Greetings, Black Tiger

br360

Are you using additional language files? Probably one of those files doesn't have the updated year.

Yes, you can delete the older updates

lurkalot

Quote from: Black Tiger on December 03, 2017, 06:58:52 PM

It just appeared to me that my forum has the wrong copyright year.

So does this forum. SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Black Tiger

@Br360: Yes I'm using both English-utf8 and Dutch-utf8 on my forums. On the other forum it's just plain English and Dutch (without the utf-8).
How can I fix it?

@Lurkalot: Have another look at the bottom... this forum also says 2017. :)
Greetings, Black Tiger

lurkalot

Quote from: Black Tiger on December 03, 2017, 07:22:22 PM

@Lurkalot: Have another look at the bottom... this forum also says 2017. :)

Says 2015 for me.

br360

Look for index.yourlanguage.php

Black Tiger

@Lurkalot, it says 2017 here for me on this forum. Read below, maybe we are having a bit the same kind of issue. Try logging out and see what it says then.

@Br360: That looks fine, maybe because I just installed a newer version of my language.
@BR360: That's odd, that looks good:
[code]title="License" target="_blank" class="new_win">SMF &copy; 2017</a>

However.... seems I kind of have the same problem as Lurkalot is having at this forum here.
Date was still 2014. So I tried another browser, which gives 2017. Back to Firefox and deleting cache and refreshing browser. Still 2014. That's odd.
The only difference with the other browser which displayed it correctly, was that I wasn't logged in.

So I tried and indeed. When I'm logged in it says 2014. When I'm logged out it says 2017.
What can cause this? Cookie issue?

Edit: Not a cookie issue, deleted the cookies, same problem.
Discovered it's some kind of account issue. When I login as admin, the issue occurs. When I login as a test user, it displays correctly.
Can't find any strange settings in my profile though.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Black Tiger

Found it. Forum was set default to dutch, my profile was English. So logged out and logged in as another user the dutch language was used.
I updated the English-utf8 language and now it displays correctly too.

Always though on forum patches the languages would be upgraded automatically too. My mistake, but it's fixed now. :)

@Lurkalot, you might also try and choose another language or you're experiencing something else, I can make a screenshot but it says 2017 on this forum here on my account.

Thanks for the help br360, you pointed me in the right direction.
Greetings, Black Tiger

br360

Arantor

This problem is solved in 2.1 by not having the year as part of the language string in the first place ;)

lurkalot

Quote from: Black Tiger on December 03, 2017, 08:17:23 PM

@Lurkalot, you might also try and choose another language or you're experiencing something else, I can make a screenshot but it says 2017 on this forum here on my account.

It's probably just a browser thing, not a big deal for me, bigger things to worry about.   Does seem strange though that all my sites and some others I've seen have correct date. This forum doesn't, but all other pages mod site etc are all correct.

It'll sort itself out eventually.  ;)

Arantor

The copyright date is hardcoded into the language pack and doesn't usually get updated in a patch. Should be updated in install and full upgrade and adding language packs.

Black Tiger

Yep, noticed that now. But it's good to read that it's changed in 2.1.
Thank you.
Greetings, Black Tiger

lurkalot

Been 19 days and the copyright date on here still says SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Thought my browser would have sorted itself by now.  Cleared cache temp internet files etc several times, but still the same. 

Edge, Chrome, IE11 all say SMF © 2015

Firefox says SMF © 2017

On all my own sites and others I've looked at the date is correct.  Strange.  ???

lurkalot

Quote from: Black Tiger on December 03, 2017, 08:17:23 PM

Thought I'd try it.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm currently using the Preferred Language: English British

If I change Preferred Language: to British copyright year is SMF © 2017  If I change back to English British it's SMF © 2015 again.   

Edit:  Obviously a problem with the English British language file needing updating, as I'm logged in on the all browsers except Firefox where it shows correctly.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Like Arantor said, the year comes from the language packs.

Quote from: Arantor on December 04, 2017, 05:21:25 AM
The copyright date is hardcoded into the language pack and doesn't usually get updated in a patch. Should be updated in install and full upgrade and adding language packs.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lurkalot

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 23, 2017, 06:42:05 AM
Like Arantor said, the year comes from the language packs.

Quote from: Arantor on December 04, 2017, 05:21:25 AM

Yep, thanks got it now.  The (your) "English British" language file still needs updating.

Black Tiger

That might be the reason that I don't have that issue. I do have the English language here, but not the British one. ;)
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: