News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Strange iFrame problem

Started by fjgh, December 04, 2017, 06:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjgh

I don't know what is causing this problem.  It's either SMF or Net Objects Fusion website software.  I cannot get SMF to display into an iFrame on a web page.  The area where SMF should display is blank (white).  I can get phpbb, bbs, and other forums and blogs to display.  SMF is the only software I have ever seen that won't display in an iFrame and I have been doing this iFrame programming for almost 2 decades.  SMF works normally in a regular browser.

I left out the "http://" from the link url to SMF so an error would be generated into the iFrame.  And it did show an error in the iFrame from the server. But still no SMF in the iFrame when correct url target for link is used.  Like I said, in almost 20 years I have never seen something not display in an iFrame before.

Is there something in SMF html code that may be incompatible with the website software creating the iFrame code?  This is the only idea I can come up with to explain it.  I have a few of the 13 SMF forum sites I have created that I wanted to put into the iFrames.  All 13 SMF sites I created are 2.0.13.

I have tried everything and it just keeps coming out white with no web page displayed.  The only thing I have not tried yet is to go back to 2.0.9 I upgrade to 2.0.13 which is the version it is now.  I can't go to 2.0.15 because of PHP limitation.

Any ideas? 

Illori

SMF will not load in an iframe for security. why do you want it to load in an iframe?

fjgh

I have a group of about 15 sites I want visitors to see on a portal page where all the sites can go with only one url to the portal page visitors have to remember.  That page will eventually have ads on it so the ads will show to the visitor no matter what site they are looking at in the iFrame.  A lot of forum sites use this technique to show ads which really can't be put on the forum sites themselves.

I also have a few Asp based sites on servers accessed with urls with port numbers.  iFrames will fix that problem too.

I guess I will have to use a different forum app.  Too bad, I really like the way SMF is designed and how it works.

Thanks for the quick answer.  I can now try some other software.  I already spent a lot of time trying to get this to work.

Arantor

You could remove the line from index.php that enforces this security, it's literally a single line. Look for X-Frame-Options.

When I added this for security in 2.0, I figured there would be legitimate cases like yours but we'd deal with those on a case by case basis (this is directly and easily configurable in 2.1)

fjgh

I just added "//" so all 4 lines were comment lines and SMF now is visible in the iframe.  This way I won't have to remember what I deleted.

Thanks.

Arantor

You didn't need to d that, just the X-Frame-Options line. The others are still valid for security.

fjgh

Ok, I will comment out just the one line.

After commenting out the one line, it works too.

Thanks

Advertisement: