HELP - 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 upgrade failure

Started by CurtisS, November 27, 2017, 11:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtisS

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 28, 2017, 03:30:29 PM
The session check (second line of code) was added in 2.0.14.  If you uploaded the package backup via FTP to a GoDaddy account, some of the /Sources files may have been deleted.  Try uploading the backup with cpanel file manager.
I appreciate your patience but unfortunately that didn't work either (and GoDaddy's File Manager is awful). I am ready for a wholesale scrapping of the forum and starting over. Could this be an issue with the SQL database? I am missing something (obviously)!

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm cpanel access and link to your forum, I'll have a look.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

CurtisS

The best I can do is FTP access. If you care to take a look I can setup a temp account and PM you.

Sir Osis of Liver

Anything that involves uploading /Sources files (restoring package backup, uploading clean set of files) via ftp will likely fail, so there's not much I can safely do without access to cpanel file manager.  GoDaddy has a strange security setup on some of its servers that deletes anywhere up to a dozen source files immediately after they upload, which breaks the forum.  Their file manager is a pia, but it usually does work, and only the /Sources directory needs to be uploaded.  IIRC, it sometimes won't do it in one go, you have to upload the files in smaller batches.

If you can give me admin access (link/username/password), and ftp access (server/user/password), I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

CurtisS

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 28, 2017, 05:44:18 PM
Anything that involves uploading /Sources files (restoring package backup, uploading clean set of files) via ftp will likely fail, so there's not much I can safely do without access to cpanel file manager.  GoDaddy has a strange security setup on some of its servers that deletes anywhere up to a dozen source files immediately after they upload, which breaks the forum.  Their file manager is a pia, but it usually does work, and only the /Sources directory needs to be uploaded.  IIRC, it sometimes won't do it in one go, you have to upload the files in smaller batches.

If you can give me admin access (link/username/password), and ftp access (server/user/password), I'll have a look.

Sent you a PM. I am really glad there are people like you that are willing to help out!
Cheers!
CurtisS

Sir Osis of Liver

Will get to it soon as I can, probably not til tonight.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, spent some time kicking around your forum, it's broken, but looks like it may be a host problem. 

Several odd items:

- You're not running php 5.6, you're in 5.4.16.  SMF 2.0.14 should be ok with that.
- Settings_bak.php was incorrectly named Settings-bak.php.
- The 2.0.14 file /Sources/Class-CurlFetchWeb.php was in /Packages/Sources/Class-CurlFetchWeb.php (there is no such directory).
- repair_settings.php is being blocked, 500 error.

I restored the forum to 2.0.13 and 2.0.12 using package backups, no help.  Tried uploading clean 2.0.13 and 2.0.14 files, no go.  Cannot login in Reseller theme in any version.  If I fudge the theme directories and get Curve running, I can login as admin, but second admin login fails, as does logout, both with session timeout errors.

Can't see what's installed above forum, are you running any security or an .htaccess script?  Do you know if GoDaddy has mod_security enabled?  I've restored forum to where it was when I started (2.0.13) from backup.

- R. Waters

CurtisS

Hi Sir Osis,
I really appreciate you taking the time to take a look.
I have tried using PHP 5.6 and that had no effect. I had put it back to 5.4 in the process of troubleshooting.
This is a Windows server so I wonder if there is something weird at that level. This is all very odd since the forum was working fine up until the attempted update.
My next step may be to create a new forum using the GoDaddy interface that installs Simple Machine 2.0.6 (I believe) then try to migrate the database backup into the new forum (not sure if that is possible).
I do have an older backup that I may use. Will it hurt to just plain delete the Forum files and upload from the older backup?
Again, thanks so much for your help!

Sir Osis of Liver

php 5.6 is the earliest version that's still supported, 5.4 went eol over two years ago.  SMF runs fine in 5.6, that's not your problem.  If your first upgrade attempt caused the problem, restoring the package backup should fix it, it doesn't.  All of the /Sources files are uploading correctly.  GoDaddy can move you to a linux server, but that's a risky proposition, they often screw up server moves, and it would just complicate things.  Deleting the forum and re-installing with GoDaddy's installer is not a good idea, host installers are notoriously bad, and it's not going to help here.

I tried doing a clean test install in a subdirectory, but must be able to run repair_settings to get it working, and it's being blocked.  If you can give me access one level higher, I can do a clean install without needing repair_settings, and won't have to touch your production install.

- R. Waters

CurtisS

I tried uploading an older backup to a new folder at the same level as the current folder. I modified the paths in the Settings file so they were correct. The result was the same, session errors when trying the second Admin login or logout. Is this approach similar to what you are talking about doing? Management would have to approve giving higher level access.
Seeing as this could be a hosting issue, I am going contact GoDaddy tech support for suggestions.
Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

The way I would do it is rename the /forum directory to /forum_sav, upload the 2.0.14 upgrade package to a new /forum directory, copy Settings.php from old to new install.  It's not necessary to run repair_settings (which you can't do), paths look the same to SMF.  If the new install doesn't work, then the problem is either in database (don't think so) or server configuration.  Try that first, GoDaddy support is always the last resort. :P

Just had it working for a minute in Curve by flipping theme directories, which didn't work when I tried it yesterday.  Can't repeat it.  Just for the halibut, go into your database in _settings table change theme_default to 1.  Clear your browser, or use a different one, see what happens.

Will be offline until tomorrow.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Just connected a test install on my server to your database, a bit scrambled (didn't run repair_settings because can't set it back on your end), but had enough to try login.  Same problem, so it may be something in the database, or your database server.  While you're in there changing theme_default, empty _sessions table.

Can't really do much more without cpanel access.  Will check in again tomorrow afternoon.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

I have your forum running on my server, it works fine, and have access to forum error log.  This appears to be the problem -

2: Unknown: open(D:\Temp\php\session\\sess_1adu7pe7c9ask64qmh2fm3fgp4, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2)

2: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (D:\Temp\php\session\)

There are several variations of this error, but all are due to same unknown directory.  That's a server error, no idea why 2.0.14 uograde triggered it.  Forum is running normally on my server in 2.0.13, so your database is ok.  Changed your theme to Curve and disabled admin login, you should be able to login and access ACP on your install.  You'll still get the session error if you try to logout.

Have you asked GoDaddy if they're running mod_security?  If so, ask them to disable it.  It's a cpanel option on some hosts, but don't believe you'll see it in GD cpanel.

Going offline, be back on tonight.

- R. Waters

CurtisS

Wow, Sir Osis! I come back from the weekend and find this. Thanks so much for getting this far!
I spent over an hour last Friday on hold for GoDaddy support and finally hung up. I will try them again.
I appreciate all your efforts!
CurtisS

CurtisS

I got tired of trying to get GoDaddy Support (2 hours on hold then got disconnected!!). Found a hack online to modify the Load.php to use a local path for the sessions path and it worked!!! Yeah! I could login, logout, post, look at all of the Admin functions...
Then.... I decided to try and change the theme back to Reseller using the normal Admin access (changing the Themes paths) and now well, I should leave well enough alone. I now see:
Unable to load Themes/default/Errors.template.php!

The errors.template.php file does exist but something else changed when I saved the Theme changes. What changes did you make to get it to Curves that I probably messed up? I know now through some research that I should have used the Theme Manager. My bad...
Sorry for the hassle.
CurtisS

CurtisS

Well, in desperation I restored the database through the GoDaddy CPanel and now the Forum seems to be working. I am still checking everything and will do a BACKUP ASAP!

Many thanks to all who helped me but especially Sir Osis of Liver (love the name by the way) who really went out of his way!

If there is any positive spin it would be that I learned a lot about how a Simple Machines forum works.
Cheers!
CurtisS

Sir Osis of Liver

Can you post the hack you did to Load.php?  Only changes I made were to switch default theme to Curve and disabled admin login.  Working normally now, can login/logout no problem.  Still can't run repair_settings.  Something's not right with your GD setup, you really should consider moving to a better host.

- R. Waters

CurtisS

The hack I used was posted here:

http://www.17educations.com/general/failed-write-session-data-files/

Of course their first suggestion is to get GoDaddy to fix the path but my patience with them was drained yesterday. I will try them when I have a better chance of getting through. I would love to move our hosting but we also have e-commerce and several domains through them.

Thanks again for your help.
Cheers.
CurtisS

Sir Osis of Liver

Be a good idea to set permissions for temp folder to 755.  GoDaddy is constantly tinkering with their security setup, and some servers block 777 for security reasons, so problem may recur.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: