2.0.14 to 2.0.15 Problem For Me At Least

Started by mitek, December 06, 2017, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitek

Installed 2.0.15 update normal package manager method. It installed with zero issues. However immediately afterwards the forum began showing 3 second page loads and massive lag.. it gets worse and worse as days go on.

I am of the opinion its PROBABLY an addon or extension we have loaded thats causing the problem BUT I have already uninstalled most of them with little to no success. Every other add on, even though they installed properly in teh beginning will not now UNINSTALL without manual edits through each one OR its actually an issue with teh 2.0.15 upgrade/update whatever...

I am at the point where I am thinking about first thing throwing teh forum into maintenance mode, backing up teh database as it is (after i remove all addons etc) and then saving it back.

I then would install 2.1 beta 2 or beta 3 and upgrade this 2.0.15 to 2.1 HOWEVER I am fairly certain or worried the problems will follow the upgrade to beta 2.1 and then of course on top of that just regular beta issues on a production site.. doesn't sound good at all.

So I guess Im at the point where I will be uninstalling the 2.0.15 upgrade along with anything else that even LOOKs like its causing an issue. Past that about the ONLY thing I know to do is place forum in maintenance mode, backup the current database AFTER all add ons are removed, and then clear the folder, and then simply reinstall 2.0.14 or 2.1 beta X as I should have copies of both databases at that time IF I actually run teh 2.1 upgrade after backing up the now reverted 2.0.14 database. This seems like an awful amount of work to find a lag/page load issue. It could be coincidental that all of this happened at the same time the 2.0.15 upgrade was installed BUT I find that difficult to believe. Nothing in the logs points to anything (our server logs not just the forum logs)

2.0.14 is ate up with user log errors within minutes of cleaning the logs out BUT it's always been like that from days of old so I do not pay a lot pf particular attention to the internal logs other than the critical error logs BUT they are of no use at all in this scenario.

Here is a list of every add on I still have installed (52 total)

BUT like I said not a single issue UNTIL I installed the 2.0.15 upgrade/security patch etc...I hated removing it because it is a security patch BUT I cannot find anything else to do. Right now I am seeing if teh uninstall of the 2.0.15 upgrade is making a difference at all.

If any developer or someone that woudl be willing to help needs an account (gmod or admin) let me know. I am out of freaking ideas to be honest.

Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions from ANYONE

Add Ons in place currently. Now back at version SMF 2.0.14

1.   Add IP2Location to Track IP   1.31   
2.   Better Profile Menu   2.4   
3.   To Buddies   1.01   
4.   Search Sent PMs   2.5   
5.   PM Settings   1.0.1   
6.   reCAPTCHA for SMF   1.0.0   
7.   Show Unread Private Messages   1.2   
8.   Separate Unread PMs   1.6   
9.   Contact Page   4.0   
10.   Default Avatar   2.3   
11.   Custom Action Mod   3.2   
12.   Invitation Message In Your Face (IMIYF)   0.3.2   
13.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin   4.4.1   
14.   Breeze   1.0.12   
15.   SMF Trader System   1.7   
16.   Quick Buddies   2.8   
17.   Profile Comments   2.2   
18.   Join Reason   1.5   
19.   Force Topic Read On Login Mod   2.1   
20.   Flag Avatars   1.0   
21.   ENotify   3.0   
22.   Admin Notepad   2.0.2   
23.   SimplePortal   2.3.7   
24.   Topics Created And Participated In   2.6   
25.   Registered Links   3.0   
26.   Reason For Editing Mod   2.3.3   
27.   Lazy Moderator Menu   1.0.1   
28.   Forum Hit Hard Preventer   1.3   
29.   Change Account Status From Profile   2.0   
30.   Change All Subjects   1.3   
31.   Ban Filter   1.0   
32.   AvatarSelect   1.2.1   
33.   Automatic Attachment Rotation   3.8   
34.   Tabs for Admin & Moderator Menus   1.3   
35.   Dougiefresh's Reorganized Admin Area   1.3   
36.   Delete Member Button In Post   1.0   
37.   Ad Managment   3.3a   
38.   Advanced Attachments Uploader   3.0   
39.   Buddy Page   2.1   
40.   Track IP on ip-adress.com   1.0   
41.   Bad Behavior mod   1.5.19   
42.   Buddies List   1.0.1   
43.   SMF Advanced Invitations System   1.1.4   
44.   Anti-spam by CleanTalk   2.14   
45.   SMFPacks Media Embedder   1.0.3   
46.   SMFPacks Alerts Pro   2.0.17   
47.   SMF Staff Page   1.7   
48.   Recount Member Posts   1.1   
49.   Users Online Today   2.1   
50.   Our Important Topics   1.5   
51.   Most Popular Topic Today   2.3   
52.   Add Domaintools to TrackIP   1.1
KCF Private Forum

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

I don't really know if this applies in your case as your list of modules is similar to mine in size, but I had a very similar experience with the package manager method of updating too, all indications were that everything went smooth, but experienced issues as time went on... have you thought about doing a manual upgrade by unzipping a fresh copy of the large upgrade download .zip and FTPing the files and then do a manual upgrade?, then of course you'll need to re-install all of your modules... that's what I did and its been smooth sailing thus far... also, what is the php version you're using on your server, that may part of it too?
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

mitek

No I hadnt thought of that BUT I did uninstall teh 2.0.15 update and it is performing MUCH better now. I have already received several PMs from members telling me its 100 times better than before. Thing is I used teh package manager to uninstall the 2.0.15 security upgrade and again no problems at all. NOTHING as far as what it says or does..craziness. Its liek it installed perfectly and uninstalled perfectly BUT was causing all kinds of problems while it was installed.. just doesn't make sense. I have only dded maybe 5 extensions after teh upgrade, so to me that indicates it was probably conflicting with an add on I had installed much earlier seeing as how any of the ones  I Installed after the update were already uninstalled.

I am now turning off or uninstalling certain OLDER mods to see if something in particular JUST didnt like version 2.0.15... great suggestion however on refreshing the files.

That will be my next plan of attack IF what Im doing now doesn't work. I was coming back just to post that it was getting better after the uninstall and happened upon your reply.. Thanks again.

Mike/Mitek Computers
kratomconnoisseurs.com
KCF Private Forum

Colin

Do you have a test install somewhere we can play around with?

The symptoms are only page load latency? Strange, 2.0.15 really shouldn't have touched much anything to cause this.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mitek

Right back to same lag as before. Its driving me nuts and this after the 2.0.15 removal. Its like there is a script that kicks in at a serverr time. I changed backup times etc. Like  isaid I am willing to give anyone that has some knowledge with add ons etc an account that would let them help me remove the damn things I certainly do NOT want to nuke teh system and start over. I really need some help here and I am some of the bbest help there is. I just need a fresh set of eyes. I have no problem offering up an admin account for this help at all. And no I do not have a test forum... just the real deal...

Thanks.

Mike
KCF Private Forum

br360

I didn't register for an account, but going to your site (clicking log in, register and other nav links etc.) and I'm not seeing any real lag at all. Is the lag happening once a member logs in? Can you try logging out or using a different browser to see if it's any better?

You said you installed mods after the upgrade; what were they?

Not saying this is the issue, but I know from previous posts that the enotify mod caused lagging issues on some forums. When was that installed?

Other possible issues could be with the Invitation Message In Your Face or tapatalk mods but those would be guesses. Maybe try uninstalling those three and see if there is any improvement?

Also; have you reached out to your host to see if there are any issues on their end? You may have a script running, something using way too may resources, or if you are on a shared host, it could even be an issue with one of the other sites on the same hosting server clogging up resources

Advertisement: