News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Search Engine showing our posts

Started by MaryLouW, December 08, 2017, 09:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryLouW

How can I stop the Google search engine from listing the posts from my forum? I didn't realize it was doing that.  I want the forum listed, but I don't want all our posts put into a public area like that. 

I put "pirc forum" in the search window and came up with all kinds of posts that were made.  Anyone else would have to log in to see them but the general public can read the ones listed right on Google. 

Second question:  Is there an option to allow images to be posted in private messages?

Torngate

First off, before we can help, what version of SMF 2.0 are you using? That'll allow us here to find out what options you have available and what mods may work.

Second, the basic [img] tags should work, unless you're talking about attachments.

Can you clarify?
Site Administrator- Shadow Fleet Star Trek RPG

Sir Osis of Liver

Hi, MaryLou.  You may be able to use this to prevent post content from showing.  Don't know exactly how it works, or if it will remove all description, or how long it takes for Google to pick it up and make the change.  I'm guessing the meta tag should go in your root index.php.

You have the same bbc buttons in pm editor as in post editor, including the one for img tags.  It's the first one on the left, second row (I'm looking at your forum).
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MaryLouW

I guess I wasn't very clear about what I wanted.  That's what happens when one does things in a hurry. 
Version: 2.0.15

On the images, I meant attachments - otherwise I have to upload them first.  It's a bit of a pain when trying to help someone privately. I end up giving them my email and taking that route. 

I just tried that search again and I did NOT get the posts from the forum.  That's really strange... unless I am over worked, under paid and seeing things.  I will look into the snippet thing and see what I can learn. 

Thanks for the replies!

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MaryLouW

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!   That is exactly what I wanted!  I have it installed and it works like a charm!!  I know some of our members will be very happy about this.   It's been so long since I've added a new mod that I almost forgot how!!

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: MaryLouW on December 08, 2017, 09:06:28 PM
How can I stop the Google search engine from listing the posts from my forum? I didn't realize it was doing that.  I want the forum listed, but I don't want all our posts put into a public area like that. 

I am content creator and I do care my content to be secure,  most such (stealing forum content ) engines they use Print function so to steal text.
This mod saved my day.
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2293 

MaryLouW

Thanks!!  I will definitely take a look at that.  There should be laws against search engines stealing content.  They overstep their boundaries.

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: MaryLouW on December 09, 2017, 02:52:37 PM
Thanks!!  I will definitely take a look at that.  There should be laws against search engines stealing content.  They overstep their boundaries.

There is copyright laws and theoretically there is justice if you move ahead and chase your case.
But there is text stealing that some of it does not end to public eyes.
Either way,  this mod it did stop search engines from printing my forum all day long.
But I do aloud pictures preview ( stealing ), because this also works as advertising of my own work and it does attract new people ( visitors) in my forum & Blog.
When you do produce unique content, search engines running at you all day long.

My Blog this is six years old and having high Rank at worldwide stats.
Fresh build forums especially in first two years time, they do not see much of traffic from search engines.
Yes search engines they are smart    :)   

MaryLouW

I did download the mod, tried to install it and got the following message
"The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF. "

Tried to  re-download... same problem

Torngate

To add on to that ^^

You'll need to emulate that package for 2.0.4
Site Administrator- Shadow Fleet Star Trek RPG

Kindred

To be clear, kiriakos is us b a very wrong word...   search engines do not "steal" anything.
They may catalog your site, but unless you have fudged something, search engines have the same access as guests...  which means that they see exactly what any other guest can see.

If your content is documented in a search engine like google, then any guest will also be able to see that same content if the visited your site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

Ahhh... now I know what the problem is!!!  THANK YOU!!!   I was really hesitant to install something that I was unsure about but your comment gave me the solution!!

Some time back, I set all the forums (other than the admin one) so guests could see them. I just need to change all but the two general ones back to not allow the guests access!

You guys are so great!!  I don't mind having a problem because I know someone will help me to fix it!! 

Merry Christmas and THANKS to all!!!

Advertisement: