News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Questions about SMF 2.1

Started by mitek, December 05, 2017, 10:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitek

Is it possible to import the database from a 2.0.14/15 install into 2.1 and it actually work?

Thanks

Mike
KCF Private Forum

br360

You can download the SMF 2.1 Beta 3 full upgrade zip and then upload it to the same directory as where your 2.0.14/15. Unzip it and then run the upgrade.php.

You aren't planning to upgrade a production site though?

Steve

Again ...

Quote from: Colin on May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PMFinally, as always, this topic is not for support. Discussion and support for 2.1 can be found in the 2.1 support board.
DO NOT pm me for support!

mitek

Quote from: br360 on December 05, 2017, 10:50:39 PM
You can download the SMF 2.1 Beta 3 full upgrade zip and then upload it to the same directory as where your 2.0.14/15. Unzip it and then run the upgrade.php.

You aren't planning to upgrade a production site though?

Yes and I will explain why. I am having so many problems with 2.0.15. Is there anyway (and I may be asking in the wrong place) to UNINSTALL the 2.0.15 update. It seems it was directly after this update when all of these lag and page load issues started happening. I used SMF in a fairly large forum in the very early releases of version 2 (around 2008 or so) and we ran it for a few years (2014) with no problem BUT then we started having massive issues. I them converted the database and moved to the main competing open source forum s/w P***B.

I hated it from the get go (2014) but our 3000+ members liked it so I was at their mercy more or less THEN we started having issues with it. I had kept the old domain name so I decided to go back with SMF ver 2.0.14 in September 2017 and had a few hiccups here and there but overall it was fast. Then as soon as I placed that 2.0.15 upgrade on there the lag and page load times became unbearable..404 page missing, blank screens,  internal server 500 errors etc.. its like a script runs and then just keeps running and not shutting down and get progressively worse as the day goes on. I have PLENTY of dedicated server oomph and our forum is only 1 of 4 domains installed on that server so I KNOW it's not a server issue. Its weird as crap...during the day it is somewhat usable for everyone BUT as night time arrives it gets slower and slower and eventuially just becomes unusable.

Anyway loading 2.1 into the forum the way it is now would be a moot point as far as trying to upgrade it. I am afraid the problems would just carry over with the upgrade. Then i would have a hosed database and a real mess on my hands. Of course I backup everything BUT I always go with worst case scenario. Our forum is a very heavily used forum at certain times of the day or night. We very seldom have over 25 or 35 connects at one time, but these connects come and go back and forth all day and night long..so the forum is always in use for a fairly small forum.

Im at the point where Im thinking about just uninstalling every add on and extension, backup the database, wipe it all out and reload it from scratch. I hate to do that but I have ran out of ideas. Most every add on left (around 30-40 or so requires a manual edit to uninstall so Im going to be stuck doing that for a couple of days

Thats why I was wondering that IF I saved teh database could I simply use that database in 2.1. Production or not I am NOT going back to P***B 3 and Im really worried about reinstalling 2.0.14 to be honest.

Mods look if this belongs somewhere else I am truly sorry BUT my problem is a mixture of issues and questions so exactly why I am placing it here. But if you need to split it or move it or whatever I completely understand. Im just looking for ideas or something I may have missed. I have been trying to find teh problems for a week with no success at all. Is there by any chance a reapir_settings or repair_forum script anywhere. I looked and didnt see anything. I am even willing to do that...
KCF Private Forum

Arantor

You can't just use the DB in 2.1 but the 2.1 upgrade will convert it for 2.1 use.

Though I can't think of anything in 2.0.15 that would have caused issues like you're describing, did you do any other kind of changes?

How did you upgrade to 2.0.15?

mitek

I probably shouldnt reply here, looks like some mods are getting aggravated, so Ill just do what I can myself. Thanks for at least trying to help. I will take verything you have suggested and mull it over. I hate to use 2.1 beta anything in production BUT it is what it is..

Again mods Im sorry if I am posting in wrong place...do what you gotta do I guess.

Appreciated Arantor..very much.

Mike
KCF Private Forum

Irisado

The topic has been split, so there's no issue with going off topic now :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: