News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need help with posting pictures from my server onto ver 2.0.15

Started by jcohen780, December 09, 2017, 02:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcohen780

Hi,

I would like to have an easy and reliable way to have a picture actually show up in a post, that is also hosted within my hosting service (locally hosted)

I have also implemented a forum mod that uses bbimg.com [nofollow] as a third party host (which works fine), but i wanted to host pictures on my host, and then be able to easily post them in the forums. Everything I have tried doesn't seem to work, and I have no idea why.

I have a closed Forum called thekegger.net [nofollow] and I have a subfolder under public_html called internal-pix where i have a sample pic installed.

Why isn't is working?

Thanks.

Illori

jcohen780

THIS:

Image test

[i m g]http://www.thekegger.ner/internal-pix/pic1.jpg[/i m g]

Gave me this:

a10

Testing in a browser, internal-pix/pic1.jpg = file not found 404. So the path (folder and\or filename) is wrong, or the file is not there. Check in ftp.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

jcohen780

The file exists. The path *could* be off somehow, I have no real idea on how SMF path structures woek. What I see on the back end makes little to no sense to me. That's why I'm here, hoping the pros will have the answers.

Illori

can you provide a screenshot of the folder structure so we can see where this folder is located?

lurkalot

jcohen780

Illori

do you have a .htaccess file in your public_html folder? if so post the contents of that file.

jcohen780

The file was in a subfolder \public_html\attachments

<Files *>
   Order Deny,Allow
   Deny from all
   Allow from localhost
</Files>

Illori

that one is fine, there is not one in the public_html folder? if not then you may need to reach out to your host so they can look into the issue.

Jailer

If you like how imgbb works you can purchase the software that they use and host your own.

Chevereto

It supports SMF and is simple to install.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=556300.0

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=556625.0

FYI: I have no affiliation with the software or it's developer, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

jcohen780

Quote from: Illori on December 09, 2017, 08:02:50 PM
that one is fine, there is not one in the public_html folder? if not then you may need to reach out to your host so they can look into the issue.

There isn't but if it's just a question of moving it tot hat folder, that IS something I can easily do, IF it will make things work. Should I copy it over?

jcohen780

I copied the file over, and it crashed the forums.

This software should be able to handle something this simple, and it shouldn't be so complicated to do it.

jcohen780

Quote from: Jailer on December 09, 2017, 08:06:28 PM
If you like how imgbb works you can purchase the software that they use and host your own.

Thanks, but I'm not looking to pay for something that I should already have "for free". I just need someone knowledgable to tell me what the particular code and/or configuration is to "make it work".

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jcohen780

Quote from: Kindred on December 09, 2017, 09:17:30 PM
Install a gallery mod...

I added the gallery the other day. HOWEVER, I don't know how to get the pictures to show up in an actual post (which is pretty much the whole point of this question).

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: