News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Update Forum Profile

Started by Ilkharnos, December 11, 2017, 03:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilkharnos

Hello,

When I try to update my own (or another user's) forum profile (avatar, signature or something else, it doesn't matter), it takes FOREVER to update and the process fails %90 of the time, showing a white "Request Timeout" screen. It is very annoying.

However, 10% of the time, it is done successfully with light-speed. I don't understand.

At first I thought it might be a server problem, but I checked that my forum is working normally while profile update process is failing.

I use 2.0.15. This problem was there before the update, and it still exists.

A similar failure happens when I view the 3rd party package list inside the Package Manager of my forum and click on any modification, but it is not a priority for me at the moment.

What would be the reason? I would be grateful for any advice.

Regards.

Arantor

Ilkharnos

Yes, I have several mods installed.

Arantor

Ilkharnos

My package manager doesn't list the most of them (they were there but disappeared after SMF updates, I don't know why), so I will list what I can remember.

Drafts, Pages, Member Notepad, Footnotes, Paragrapher, Private Profile, Links, httpBL (disabled), Stop Spammer, Forum Firewall, Simple Portal, ImageFit, Default Avatar, Disable Right Click, Youtube BBC, PDF BBC, Double Post Stopper

Arantor

Hmm, I don't recognise Private Profile, what does that do?

Also, did you try disabling hostnsme lookup inside Server Settings?

Ilkharnos

Quote from: Arantor on December 11, 2017, 07:17:33 AM
Hmm, I don't recognise Private Profile, what does that do?

It allows you to hide your profile from others, if you have permission to use this mod.

Could it be the reason for my profile update problem?

Quote from: Arantor on December 11, 2017, 07:17:33 AM
Also, did you try disabling hostnsme lookup inside Server Settings?

I checked it and it is already disabled.

Thank you for the assistance.

Illori

do you have a link to where you got that private profile mod? it is possible that is the mod causing the issue.

Ilkharnos

Ilkharnos

I uninstalled Private Profile mod but the problem didn't go away.

I always get a random effect among these: Request Timeout, Success or Database Error (warning me that I should run upgrade.php)

EDIT: I don't encounter this problem when I choose an avatar picture from the gallery. If I enter an URL for the avatar, I start to get failures or errors. I didn't test it too much, but I got 10/10 successes with an avatar selected from the gallery.

Arantor

URL you were using? Avatar settings in terms of downloading avatars?

Ilkharnos

All avatars are already included in my web area. There are two seperate directories for Gallery avatars and custom avatars. When I try URL for an avatar, I enter the URL of my custom avatar directory.

URLs are correct. Avatars are visible in my forum and the profile update process may (randomly) success. All avatars have https:// prefix.

When I take a look at avatar settings, I don't see any obvious reason which might cause such a problem (but that's me of course).

Arantor

Well, one of the things the software will do when you give it a URL avatar is try to download the avatar to see how big it is and if it needs to resize it or not...

Ilkharnos

Now I notice that, when I check "Download external avatar to server" option (it was unchecked before) and enter an avatar URL, I encounter no errors but the avatar doesn't appear in profile (I see an emptiness).

There is a user who uploaded his avatar from his computer (and he is the only one who did it). I can easily edit his profile, without any problems. I guess if I upload all avatars from computer, I can solve this problem.

Is there any way to completely disable URL avatar option? I can live with Gallery avatars and Uploaded avatars only. It seems URL option causes additional work which results in failures.

Thank you very much, by the way.

Arantor

Just remove the permission for it from users, should solve the problem. Or, don't set a maximum size for them.

Ilkharnos

Thank you very much. Problem solved.

Advertisement: