News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

"time out" error when logging in

Started by brynn, August 07, 2017, 12:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 14, 2017, 01:21:49 PM
Nothing 'just happens', someone copied the Aqua index.template.php into your other themes.

OMG!!!

Of course I edited index.template.php in all the themes!  That's what you told me to do!  They all looked like the exact same file, so I fixed one of them, and uploaded/overwrote all the other themes with it.

You're the one that said there's no way this login fix could be causing these problems.  And you couldn't imagine a newbie might make this kind of mistake?  In fact, you said

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 10, 2017, 04:31:57 PMThe login edit would not cause that problem, even if done incorrectly.

Well, I did it incorrectly!  And it sounds like you're saying that's exactly what's causing the problem.

For goodness sakes!

I even wondered if this might have been the problem, WAY back on the day it happened.  I thought by looking up the file in admin panel > Themes and Layout > Modify the index template, I was looking at the original file.  And I looked at index.template.php for every single theme!  And they are all exactly what I have now.  So apparently that is only showing the current state of the file, and not the original file.

For goodness sakes!

So I guess I can only find the original index.template.php in the zip download file for the themes?

Would it work to use that file from the original theme packages?  Or I guess they might have been changed by various mods, upgrades, etc. along the way.  I guess it would be better to find it in my backups, right?

Illori

brynn

All fixed!!

Thanks everyone for your help, and especially for your patience.  I help newbies every day (learning how to use Inkscape) and I know it takes a lot of patience.  So I appreciate it very much   :)

(lurkalot, still haven't upgraded TP.  I will do that as soon as I can catch my breath from this debacle  :D )

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: brynn on August 15, 2017, 12:20:46 PM
They all looked like the exact same file, so I fixed one of them, and uploaded/overwrote all the other themes with it.

Actually, that's what I guessed you had done, was going to post it today if you hadn't figured it out.  No, the login edit cannot cause that problem, but juggling around theme files can.  If you had explained what you had done a bit more clearly, this could have been resolved days ago.  Bear that in mind next time you need support.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

JmGOUS

Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 07, 2017, 12:27:10 PM
If your custom theme has a login form such as in the index.template.php or boardindex.template.php or in the login.template.php

The SMF 2.0.14 now requires the following code added in the <form> tag  just add in the closing </form> tag in any login form.

<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

This code is used to help increase security for SMF.

Thanks for posting the fix. It worked perfectly for us!

Mr. B

Thanks, it worked for me too, so far. Now to see what happens when I update to 2.0.15

Advertisement: