News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

question about latest upgrade

Started by DarkAngel612, December 17, 2017, 10:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

I have installed this upgrade - 2.0.15 - and noticed that when going into the admin section, where it shows the current version and your own forum version that there seems to be something amiss with mine---or is it like everyone's?

It shows the current smf version 2.0.15
My version 2.0.15

but when I expand it by clicking the link to see all files/versions listed there are some that claim to be still 2.0.14 or lower. BUT this time when I view the files/versions and then check the files online the version listed in the forum admin is OT the version on the server, like the templates/default/Login.template.php claims to be 2.0.14 in forum admin but is actually 2.0.15

I have also run repair_settings.php and that did not fix it either, version number in database is 2.0.15

Did I mess up somewhere?

http://thefantasiesattic.net/attic/
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Deaks

no this is ok, so updates only change info when the file has been altered, it wont cause issues with your forum.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Illori

Quote from: BryanD on December 18, 2017, 05:21:05 AM
no this is ok, so updates only change info when the file has been altered, it wont cause issues with your forum.

this is comparing the files version the server to what the version should be as defined by SMF team. if the versions dont match it is possible that the files have not been updated as they should have been or failed to update the version information in the file when the patch was applied.

DarkAngel612

Well I thought maybe I messed up somewhere cause the way I do ALL updates is to delete the files from the server and then upload fresh ones from the large zip and add the upgrade.php with its sister files.

Then checking the admin listing with the server ones I found that indeed the files were different in version number from what is on the server to what is in the zip.

I may need to reupload the files and then redo the update again.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

a10

A few occurences here too, doing only upgrape patching. Generally, is any action needed ?
Thanks

Example
Quoteindex.english.php    2.0.8    2.0.14
ManagePaid.english.php    2.0    2.0.10
Post.template.php    2.0    2.0.10
Search.template.php    2.0    2.0.10
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Without actually knowing the cause of those discrepancies, I'd wager the language files are fine unless you run in to empty strings ( and undefined index errors ). The post and search templates, I'd run a compare on the files from the installation package to be sure all updates are there.
Does not look like anything to actually worry about though.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

DarkAngel612

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 22, 2017, 11:32:16 AM
Without actually knowing the cause of those discrepancies, I'd wager the language files are fine unless you run in to empty strings ( and undefined index errors ). The post and search templates, I'd run a compare on the files from the installation package to be sure all updates are there.
Does not look like anything to actually worry about though.

That is what is my confusion too...I have no clue what is going on. I have compared the version number only of the files but when I did the update...as with any and all updates I remove old files..so there are none in the folders on server, then upload the fresh new files. I did this this time too and am surprised to see that the ones in question on the server do not have the version number that are on the ones I uploaded from the desktop

For the last 2-3 updates I have been having those undefined index errors and when I asked about them I was told that it is strange since they are for normal tings in coding that are always there.

[22-Dec-2017 06:01:12 America/Chicago] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: character_set in /Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1312
[22-Dec-2017 06:01:12 America/Chicago] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: utf8 in /Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1355
[22-Dec-2017 06:01:12 America/Chicago] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: utf8 in /Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1357
[22-Dec-2017 06:01:12 America/Chicago] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: character_set in /Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1312

There is also a marked slowing down of all forums living on my dedicated server, they slow down to a crawl forever waiting for the page to load so I can answer a question or post anything. All browsers and pc/mac comps I have. Have set sessions to 2880 on php.ini and emptied out the sessions tables and still speed for maybe 10 minutes then stalling again until I clear browser cache or flush dns and reboot computer. Host checked the server too and said they found nothing.

Added note: Just now starting on this forum too. Do you think Adblock plus may be the culprit.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you look through the files in the 2.0.15 upgrade package, you'll see different versions in different files.  The version numbers are usually updated only when the file is changed.  If it hasn't been changed since 2.0.12, it will still show 2.0.12.  It's not a problem, it's how things work.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

DarkAngel612

I getcha now...LOL I am slow but lovable for my ancient age. ::)

updated file has no edits from SMF of previous ones so the version number makes no difference...but what I am saying is that the one in the packages (full and upgrade) on the silly files is 2.0.15 yet the one on the server (that got deleted  and replaced with the new one) is still 2.0.14

See why I is so much more confoozled than usual O:)

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you on GoDaddy?  If version numbers in server files are different from what you uploaded, then uploads failed and files weren't replaced.  GoDaddy runs a strange security implementation that causes up to a dozen source files to be deleted immediately after ftp upload, but iirc the original files are overwritten first, then deleted, so affected files are missing.  Haven't seen this on other hosts, but it could be a similar problem.  If you're using ftp, try uploading the files with cpanel file manager.

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on December 22, 2017, 10:07:27 PM
I am slow but lovable for my ancient age. ::)
Sir Osis is just slow, and probably more ancient than you.

- R. Waters

DarkAngel612

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 22, 2017, 10:23:31 PM
Are you on GoDaddy?  If version numbers in server files are different from what you uploaded, then uploads failed and files weren't replaced.  GoDaddy runs a strange security implementation that causes up to a dozen source files to be deleted immediately after ftp upload, but iirc the original files are overwritten first, then deleted, so affected files are missing.  Haven't seen this on other hosts, but it could be a similar problem.  If you're using ftp, try uploading the files with cpanel file manager.

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on December 22, 2017, 10:07:27 PM
I am slow but lovable for my ancient age. ::)
Sir Osis is just slow, and probably more ancient than you.

No thank goodness not GoDaddy at all...yanked out hair when had to edit the other tow folks forums when they were there....hated it with a passion, you upload and it shows then you refresh and they were totally gone.

I am on Hostdime, dedicated server and I remove the files prior to uploading fresh ones and also refresh to make sure they are not still there. That is why I was so shocked to see the numbers different from zipped files that were brand spanking virgin files.

On my mac my primary ftp program is Transmit and lately it seems to get amnesia of its prefs sooo I may reupload the update to reapply again over the weekend with FileZilla to see if that makes a difference.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you first delete the files from the server, then upload new ones, shouldn't make any difference how you upload them.  If they're gone, they shouldn't come back.  Another thing you can try is rename the original directory /Sources -> /Sources_sav, create a new empty directory /Sources, upload the files there and see what you get.

- R. Waters

DarkAngel612

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on December 22, 2017, 09:09:09 PM
For the last 2-3 updates I have been having those undefined index errors and when I asked about them I was told that it is strange since they are for normal tings in coding that are always there.

[22-Dec-2017 06:01:12 America/Chicago] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: utf8 in /Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1355
[22-Dec-2017 06:01:12 America/Chicago] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: utf8 in /Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1357

Those look like a known issue in SMF, Fixed in 2.1 as I understand, but probably not in 2.0. If I got that right, those errors are caused when ever the birthday emails scheduled task is run.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=517547.0
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lurkalot

I did notice that clicking admin and looking at the support info

"Support Information
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.15
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.15
(more detailed)"

The above shows the correct versions.   But clicking the "(More Detailed)" link  It says my version is newer than the current version, on all my sites.  Not a biggy, just thought I'd mention it.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: lurkalot on December 23, 2017, 05:14:16 AM
Thought I'd check that too now that it was mentioned, and I noticed the same. I wonder if there's an error in the "current versions" info on SM.org side.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

lurkalot

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 23, 2017, 05:19:36 AM
Thought I'd check that too now that it was mentioned, and I noticed the same. I wonder if there's an error in the "current versions" info on SM.org side.

Glad it's not just me then. Thanks for the confirmation.  ;)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: lurkalot on December 24, 2017, 05:33:46 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 23, 2017, 05:19:36 AM

Glad it's not just me then. Thanks for the confirmation.  ;)

No problem. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: