News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

When user is banned, what happens to their posts.

Started by fjgh, November 26, 2017, 01:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjgh

When a user is permanently banned, what happens to all of their posts.  Other forum software allows the admin to choose what happen to them.  The docs don't mention any thing about it.  I know the admin can delete multiple posts but I would hate to have to use that method to delete thousands of posts.

I am inquiring about ver. 2.0.13.

Also, what is the deal with having 2 concurrent version lines, ie. ver 1.x and 2.x?

Sir Osis of Liver

Their posts remain.  If you want to remove all posts, you have to delete the account and select remove posts option.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

skb

Quote from: fjgh on November 26, 2017, 01:01:17 AM
Also, what is the deal with having 2 concurrent version lines, ie. ver 1.x and 2.x?

I think ver 1.x is still in use by many forums, and they require support.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Arantor

It's the same way Microsoft still issues patches for issues in Windows 8 and 8.1 even though 10 is their current focus.

fjgh

The reason I asked about ver 1 and 2 is because I thought I read some where that for a period of time ver 1 was still actively being developed after ver 2 appeared.  I thought maybe I may be missing something current in ver 1 but I guess not.  I like ver 2

Arantor

There have been no additional features in 1.1 since its release in 2006. All 21 subversions are security patches.

Dav999

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 26, 2017, 01:21:03 AM
Their posts remain.  If you want to remove all posts, you have to delete the account and select remove posts option.
Actually, it's been a while since I tried this, but I'm pretty sure if you don't check the "Delete this member's account." checkbox, the member's posts will be deleted, but not the account itself.

fjgh

I guess I will have to make some phony posts on a test account and play with it.  I have been playing with dummy accounts for a month on PHPbb and SMF.  These 2 forums, on the surface, look like they work almost identically.  But SMF usually wins out.

Kindred

No... if you choose delete this users account, the account will be deleted. That's what the option does...   you will have the option to delete the user's topics and/or posts,  but the account gets deleted either way
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dav999

Quote from: Kindred on November 26, 2017, 02:01:01 PM
No... if you choose delete this users account, the account will be deleted. That's what the option does...   you will have the option to delete the user's topics and/or posts,  but the account gets deleted either way

I just tested it again; If you go to the page to delete the member's account, select that their posts (and topics) should be deleted, and proceed as if you're deleting the account, but without checking the "Delete this member's account" checkbox and accepting the confirmation dialog, then the posts will be deleted (or recycled), but the account will not.

The checkbox seems like just an extra safety precaution, but it's more than that. Kind of misleading, but a useful feature, and it could have been more clear that it works that way.

drewactual

here.... hold my beer.  :o

i keed i keed... attempt at humor to undermine a circumstance is all..

Kindred

If it's is doing that for you, then your system is not behaving normally
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Dav999 is correct.  Just tried it on 2.0.15 test install, posts are deleted, member can still login.

Another stealth feature. 8)

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It's not really supposed to work like that as far as I know. That small "menu" is there to remove the user, or the user and posts. Not just posts.

Also, since the original question has been answered, I'm gonna go an mark this topic solved.
In case fjgh wants more assistance on this topic, they are free to mark the topic not solved again. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Try it on a clean install.  If everything worked the way it's supposed to, we'd live in a perfect world (we don't).

- R. Waters

Advertisement: