News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Started by flashsteam, December 20, 2017, 05:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashsteam

On my forum there is a recent posts list. At the upper left of that is a button that will take you to several pages to see all the recent posts. It has a limit of 100 posts. How do I increase that to like 1000 posts.

Arantor

Requires a bunch of changes, and the limit is set to 100 to prevent the server being overloaded since it actually has a performance issue to actually do it, not to mention being an SEO problem to have that.

flashsteam

Whats the most reasonable number I could go to, I have a developer that I work with.

Arantor

The most reasonable number is 100, that's why we set it that way years ago.

flashsteam

flashsteam

I don't think were talking about the same thing. I am not talking about the recent post list on the home page, actually I have that set to 26. When you do a search the results can exceed 100. Im talking about when you hit the recent posts button at the upper left of the recent posts list. This is analogist to  search results, I don't see how it would be a problem because search results can exceed 100 posts.

Arantor

It's absolutely not analogous to search results. It might appear so but I assure you it isn't.

Searching is the single most expensive operation in SMF, recent posts is about fifth on the list in practice. Yup, getting the BoardIndex and list of topics is cheaper.

Plus adding more copies if posts spreads around duplicate content for search engines...

But I've only been a developer in this project, I'm sure I wouldn't know about the actual internals...

Steve

Take his word for it flashsteam. As he said, he helped develop this software. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

flashsteam

Thank you for the reply's much appreciated. While Ive got your feedback how big of a deal is making the forum https thanks again :) 

Steve

You'll probably get a quicker answer by starting a new thread or marking this one as unsolved.

A new thread would be my vote. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: