News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Site crash after upgrade

Started by Coyote Keith, December 21, 2017, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote Keith

Did the upgrade from 2.0.13 to 2.0.15 and it looked like normal during the update and came back with the standard message that all changes should now be in effect but the site now is down and just gives me this message. I'm trying to restore a backup made just before this but wonder if you experts have any insights as to why it failed.

The message I get now is

Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /home/....../Sources/Load.php on line 142

Illori

you need to upgrade php to 5.5 or higher

Coyote Keith

Thanks, I was at 5.3. ISP is updating my version now.

Coyote Keith

Guys my hosting service is taking forever to update the server and PHP. Is there a straight forward way I can roll back this update to what I had before?

Sir Osis of Liver

Look in /Packages/backups, should be a backup from before upgrade.  Download, unzip, upload to forum root.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Coyote Keith on December 21, 2017, 07:19:40 PM
Guys my hosting service is taking forever to update the server and PHP. Is there a straight forward way I can roll back this update to what I had before?
In theory yes, but it is not a good idea to go backwards in versions. I do understand that it in this case it might be the only way to get your forum working easily, but I would rather try to push my host if I were you.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

IMO, first priority in support should always be to get forum up and running.  As I'm sure you're aware, dealing with hosts can be problematic, especially the crappy ones. :p

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I do know hosts can be troublesome, but I also think that security is top priority. If a host is not willing to concider that, it might be time to switch hosts.

P.S. I actually used to be Support Team Lead some years back, nice to see you so actively trying to help even though we may have different approaches on this  :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Coyote Keith

Thanks, the site is restored and running. That was a priority with 24,000 members. Now to get them to do the server OS upgrades so I can get SMF current.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you're having problems getting your host to upgrade php beyond 5.3 (it went eol over three years ago), you should move to a different host.  Running a large forum on a crappy host is a really bad idea.

- R. Waters

Coyote Keith

Well they don't do anything unless you ask and I did not ask until now.  We've been on a private server with In Motion Hosting for quite a few years. Last email I got said they are moving us to a new server that should resolve this.   I hope!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Coyote Keith on December 22, 2017, 02:01:16 PM
Well they don't do anything unless you ask and I did not ask until now.  We've been on a private server with In Motion Hosting for quite a few years. Last email I got said they are moving us to a new server that should resolve this.   I hope!
I hope they do this, but if they don't - please, for your own good start considering a change of host. There are plenty good hosts out there willing to do something like this in a heartbeat, and what you are getting seems just wrong.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Coyote Keith

It has to get resolved. I received an email from PayPal that seem to indicate we were not yet compliant with their new security requirements. I take donations through the site using PP. I was hoping the SMF updates would resolve this.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Coyote Keith on December 22, 2017, 02:30:29 PM
It has to get resolved. I received an email from PayPal that seem to indicate we were not yet compliant with their new security requirements. I take donations through the site using PP. I was hoping the SMF updates would resolve this.
What was that about? I use PP on my forum too, and have not heard of any changes that would have caused me any grief.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Coyote Keith

Every day, hundreds of millions of people use PayPal to manage and move money online or on a mobile device. That's why one of our top priorities is to ensure our customers have a safe, secure experience when transacting with PayPal.

This year, we've made a number of upgrades to the PayPal system enabling us to continue providing the highest level of security available for customers. Throughout 2018, we will continue to upgrade our security protocols to the highest levels of protection available, which includes moving all of our systems to TLS 1.2, an enhanced security protocol that encrypts customer data over the Internet. We also announced several new security requirements for merchants who use PayPal, to ensure they do their part to protect sensitive customer data, as well. 

Our records indicate that you still need to make critical security upgrades to your systems. If you see a "YES" next to a security change, your integration must be updated to accept these new security measures as soon as possible.

Change   Change Required?
Merchant API Certificate Credential Upgrade   No
TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 Upgrade   Yes
IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS   Yes
Discontinue Use of GET Method of Classic NVP/SOAP   No

If you have not made the necessary changes by the date specified, you won't be able to accept payments with PayPal until you do so.  But most importantly, failure to make these upgrades will put your customers' sensitive personal and financial data at risk.

How do I make these changes?

More information on the required changes and how to implement them can be found on our Merchant Security Road Microsite: 

• 2016-2017 Merchant Security Roadmap
• TLS1.2 and HTTP/1.1 Upgrade Roadmap
• IPN Verification Postback to HTTPS
• Discontinue Use of GET Method for Classic NVP/SOAP API's
• Merchant API Certificate Credentials Upgrade

If you need additional support with these changes, we encourage you to contact your web hosting company, ecommerce software provider, in-house web programmer or system administrator. 

As a leading payment provider, we're committed to continually building and investing in the strongest protections possible.  Thank you for your support and for helping us maintain the highest security standards for all of our shared global customers. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your account manager.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, that's about switching to SSL as far as I can see - cleverly disguised though. But that might also explain why I knew nothing, as I've been running https for a long time now. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Coyote Keith

Well I finally got our site moved to an upgraded private server and PHP is now updated as well. I have not yet updated us to the latest version of SMF but will do so soon. After the PHP update, I am now getting a log error from an older, not supported, media gallery mod. This is the error...

8192: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead

It's only coming from one line of code from the gallery mod.  Is it possible I can make the change to make it compliant with the current PHP and what would I need to change?

Thanks again folks!

Kindred

Your bets bet would be to check or ask in the thread dedicated to supporting that specific mod
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hansonrf

This site, topic and answer saved my butt.  Upgrade to php5.6 at GoDaddy took seconds.  Wish I had been warned, though...  The terse error and sinking feeling was a bit scary...

Thanks!!

Advertisement: