News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How do I add an avatar?

Started by Just Another Member, December 23, 2017, 01:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Another Member

Everybody else seems to have them but I can't find out how to load mine.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Susan Addams on December 23, 2017, 01:37:10 PM
Everybody else seems to have them but I can't find out how to load mine.
I don't remember specifics, but it may very well be you don't have access to those options yet, and it will require more posts before you do.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Irisado

Ten posts are required to be able to modify your profile in any way.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Just Another Member

Yeah, thanks, that's what I figured. That's why I'm been answering the stupid CAPTCHA and posting, posting, posting because I figured the number was 10.

So now I have proved I'm not a spammer and I can now post the question I really joined the forum to ask.

I swear I'm going to shoot my computer the next time I see that Google CAPTCHA! LOLOLOL! ;)

You people really make a girl work hard just to prove she isn't a spammer! Whew! :D

Anyway it's 10 posts and I think the CAPTCHA disappears a bit sooner. Oh, and it may be that some board sections don't count. I'm not going to reverse engineer what I did.

Like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm cooked now so I'm good to go.

Please clarify one question. I always use transparent avatars. I had to pick a solid one (JPG) because my PNG didn't work, showed pink background so I switched to a JPG white background version.

And also do you resize, or do you have a preferred size for me to upload, or what? In other words what is the best way for me to get a transparent PNG version of my avatar upped? And do you want me to pre-size it?

The avatar is identical to what you see now but I like my white background to disappear and be replaced by board background color.

Thanks! :)

p.s. It would be nice if you let people at least change return to topic before they have proved their mettle. I guess that is too dangerous a function. ;)

Arantor

It's more that in 2.0, notifications, avatars and the preference you mention are all controlled by a single permission. The same permission is not given to the 0-9 post count group so they also can't set a website or signature in their profile for spam purposes.

Just Another Member

Yeah I got that. I even perceived that I would get access to my settings at 10 posts. I posted a bunch of blather (but no spam) to get into the 10+ post arena.

Like I'd post my website. TMI.

Now I can ask my real question (later tonight or tomorrow, how to best revive my forum that is 6 months out of date. I need to email all my users that we are back up.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Just Another Member

Yeah, thanks Steve. Late to the party. I hope you like my avatar. I figured that I would probably be able to post one once I made 10 posts and this might've been the 10th post that let me make my avatar.

So the lesson that I learned here is that you want a new member to make 10 worthless post before they can set an avatar and get pass the stupid Google CAPTCHA. You guys designed the system and the results you get are what you are rewarding.

I hope you enjoy the results of the system that you designed, and the behavior that you have encouraged.

Just Another Member

And don't worry, I won't p.m. you for support.  Thanks for showing me how I can cut and paste the URL for my avatar in a post. Very instructive.

Actually your site would be pretty good if you made it mobile friendly. I'm on my iPad.

[img=https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=353400]

Well I tried. This is hard to do on an iPad when you don't know what particular flavor of bbCODE You use.

You should strive for more compatibility with vBulletin. It's not helping anybody when we have 1 million different flavors of the code.

Irisado

Quote from: Susan Addams on December 24, 2017, 12:00:31 AM
So the lesson that I learned here is that you want a new member to make 10 worthless post before they can set an avatar and get pass the stupid Google CAPTCHA.

If this is that which you have learnt, it is clear to me that you have been studying incorrectly.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Steve

Locking.

Kindred

Just some final comments after the lock, because I can. :P

... and why would we "strive for more compatibility with vBulletin"??

They are not an "industry standard" or anything...
Maybe they should strive for compatibility with US?

Also, that "do not PM" bit is part of his signature (like many of the team members)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

After a private convo with Susan I'm unlocking this.

Just Another Member

It turns out that me and Steve had a misunderstanding. I had thought he posted my avatar in his post just to taunt me, since by the time I returned to this topic I had made my 10 posts. He never explained it was a transparent version of my avatar or I would have thanked him for his trouble. And Steve, thank you so much for your trouble!

I usually use PNGs for transparencies and it never occurred to me to use a GIF although they too support transparencies. Thank you again Steve, and of course I'm using your conversion now. Thank you so much! :) I'm glad I PM'd you to apologize!

Irisado, all I can say is that if you make an obstacle course, you are teaching those who participate whatever the obstacle course is designed to teach them.

Kindred, I said that the forum community should strive for a common ground in bbCODE so that those of us who type instead of clicking buttons can have an easier time of it. I type 60-80 wpm and it slows me down to hunt down formatting buttons. I didn't say you were wrong and vBulletin was right. Okay?

I wrote a mod myself that modifies SMF's SIZE tag to accept attributes vB uses like SIZE=+1 for my members who use posting templates, so that they would be able to use the same templates on my forum as they do on others. It wouldn't harm you to accept a + or - on your SIZE bbCODE. But it makes no diff to me now because I expanded my bbCODES to encompass SMF style and vB style SIZE tags. Maybe I'll give it to you if you want to expand your bbCODE system.

And Kindred, for the record I ignored the Do Not PM for support because I emailed an apology, not a support question. I am that kind of a person, that I can admit when I am wrong, and I don't mind apologizing when I'm wrong, as I was about Steve.

Just Another Member

It would be nice if you could be more informative to new members about the criteria used in your avatars.

Is there a maximum size or does your forum automatically resize them? I'd rather resize my own avatar (get more exactly what I want that way) if I knew the px x px size you prefer. Yeah I could have looked at one last night but I'm in the Midwest and it was crackin' maybe 3 a.m. and Suzy doesn't do her best thinking at that hour.

It would help if you post avatar guidelines and put it in a place where newbs can find it. A link or description next to the "upload avatar" would help.

Also helpful would be helpful to have guidelines on what you accept and/or prefer. Evidently PNGs are a no-no. Okay everybody accepts JPGs, the universal coin of the realm. I should'a thought of trying a transparent GIF but I didn't have my avatar in that form and too tired to do a conversion at that hour.

So thanks again Steve, I really appreciate you went out of your way to help me. For me now the problem is solved. It's my favorite avatar, it's transparent, I'm good to go. One thing I've learned in my life: "Don't fix what ain't broke!"

Thanks Steve! Happy Christmas Eve! Thank you for my pre-Xmas present of my nice, new, transparent avatar! :D :D :D

Gwenwyfar

QuoteIt would be nice if you could be more informative to new members about the criteria used in your avatars.

Is there a maximum size or does your forum automatically resize them? I'd rather resize my own avatar (get more exactly what I want that way) if I knew the px x px size you prefer. Yeah I could have looked at one last night but I'm in the Midwest and it was crackin' maybe 3 a.m. and Suzy doesn't do her best thinking at that hour.

It would help if you post avatar guidelines and put it in a place where newbs can find it. A link or description next to the "upload avatar" would help.
I believe the limits here are 100x100 and larger avatars are resized as PNG. If your avatar has to be resized, information may be lost in the process.

It is a custom setting, but this reminds me... We could show the settings in the avatar selection screen. I had many users complain as well, and what better place to add the info than right where you upload it, instead of having to create & maintain a sticky with the information, that many will miss. (Worth noting however, this is probably not going to happen for 2.0 in this forum).
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Just Another Member

Thanks for your comments Gwenyfar and I love your name! I'm so unimaginative I used my real name. Go figure...

Yes of course the info belongs on a pop-up when you select upload avatar. Even though I was a member a few years ago I forgot, can't even remember my username or I would have used it. And no, it wasn't my real name back then. LOL. I can always look at my drivers license now if I forget. ;)

Well I am good to go and you have some useful suggestions to improve this site or the next site, so this discussion had a productive outcome. Hope to see ya in the forums! :)

Steve

Quote from: Susan Addams on December 24, 2017, 02:13:22 PM
It turns out that me and Steve had a misunderstanding. I had thought he posted my avatar in his post just to taunt me, since by the time I returned to this topic I had made my 10 posts. He never explained it was a transparent version of my avatar or I would have thanked him for his trouble. And Steve, thank you so much for your trouble!

I usually use PNGs for transparencies and it never occurred to me to use a GIF although they too support transparencies. Thank you again Steve, and of course I'm using your conversion now. Thank you so much! :)

You're quite welcome. :)

Gwenwyfar

No problem.

Ha, I'm notoriously bad when it comes to names. I just stick with the ones I like, this one is from a book/historical figure :)

Worse than forgetting it as a user is when the users come to ask the limits and you forget what settings did you use :P
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Just Another Member

Gwenyfar your name is the ancient form of modern Jennifer. I'm into writing fiction and I recently introduced a protagonist who calls herself Jenn but goes into an explanation of how she got the name from her grandmother. It's an interesting etymology and I dashed off a few hundred words on it in my short story. It was just a writing exercise; it will never see print. I'm planning to begin work on a novel next year (2018) although this short story will not be the basis. It was just an unofficial writing exercise. I'd attend a writer's group the same way I attended PHP classes. I didn't.

But it's a nice name, especially for the fantasy novels I intend to write.

You could be like me and just use your real name. I like mine because when I forget I just grab my drivers license out of my purse. (Too much ta kill ya will get me in a forgetful mood, LOL!) There are too many people with my same name to track me LOL!

Hey it's not my fault tequila goes good with lime juice and Gran Mariner. Um, rocks and salt on the rim please? ;)

Well to be fully truthful I'm not using my real name on my production forum when I get it up and running. I have a name picked that might not go over well at Simple Machines. ;) My subject material will be controversial.

Advertisement: