News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Total number of images posted in postbit

Started by Just Another Member, December 23, 2017, 01:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Another Member

The title should explain it all.

Your forum is image oriented, let's say it's a photography or art forum. One rating of a member's prestige or activity ranking is the number of images they have shared with the forum members.

Put the total in the postbit along with #posts, join date, etc.

You would need an admin function to allow recounting a specific member.

However the # images should not go away when say a topic goes dead and staff has to delete it. That is of course contradictory of above, but staff can decide when a member needs a recount. Also it should be configurable by staff in the member's profile.

Arantor

This is not going to be a feature in the core software (which is what the feature requests board is for)

I could see maybe it being a mod, but given the different ways this could be handled (images uploaded as attachments, vs images uploaded via a gallery, vs images hotlinked) it would be surprisingly hard to get right.

Just Another Member

I would settle for counting a member's IMG tags and forget the attachments because my forum is set up for members to use image hosts. I'm not going to store their images on my precious server space! :)

I hope you'll pardon me but I ran a SMF forum once and then shut it down maybe a year ago, even forgot my username here at SMF so I had to re-register. I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty...

Would there be any mod like that? I guess I can always put in a mod request.

Arantor

There is no mod like that though it would be annoying to build and maintain, but not especially difficult. You'd add a detection to the createpost routine to add a count when a post was created and then load it as part of the rest of stuff loaded at post display time.

Just Another Member

Of course. I just haven't written it yet.

Anybody on a team that sells mods, please PM me if you want to hook up.

Steve

As this is, or has become, a mod request I'm moving this to that section ~ Steve
DO NOT pm me for support!

Just Another Member

Thank you Steve! :)

I would love it if somebody would write this mod, And I would be willing to help write it too. I can write PHP and all that stuff.

In fact whoever finishes it can have all the credit all I want is the mod

Advertisement: