News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Total number of images posted in postbit

Started by Just Another Member, December 23, 2017, 01:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Another Member

The title should explain it all.

Your forum is image oriented, let's say it's a photography or art forum. One rating of a member's prestige or activity ranking is the number of images they have shared with the forum members.

Put the total in the postbit along with #posts, join date, etc.

You would need an admin function to allow recounting a specific member.

However the # images should not go away when say a topic goes dead and staff has to delete it. That is of course contradictory of above, but staff can decide when a member needs a recount. Also it should be configurable by staff in the member's profile.

Arantor

This is not going to be a feature in the core software (which is what the feature requests board is for)

I could see maybe it being a mod, but given the different ways this could be handled (images uploaded as attachments, vs images uploaded via a gallery, vs images hotlinked) it would be surprisingly hard to get right.

Just Another Member

I would settle for counting a member's IMG tags and forget the attachments because my forum is set up for members to use image hosts. I'm not going to store their images on my precious server space! :)

I hope you'll pardon me but I ran a SMF forum once and then shut it down maybe a year ago, even forgot my username here at SMF so I had to re-register. I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty...

Would there be any mod like that? I guess I can always put in a mod request.

Arantor

There is no mod like that though it would be annoying to build and maintain, but not especially difficult. You'd add a detection to the createpost routine to add a count when a post was created and then load it as part of the rest of stuff loaded at post display time.

Just Another Member

Of course. I just haven't written it yet.

Anybody on a team that sells mods, please PM me if you want to hook up.

Steve

As this is, or has become, a mod request I'm moving this to that section ~ Steve
DO NOT pm me for support!

Just Another Member

Thank you Steve! :)

I would love it if somebody would write this mod, And I would be willing to help write it too. I can write PHP and all that stuff.

In fact whoever finishes it can have all the credit all I want is the mod

Advertisement: