Forum is down

Started by billpoynter, December 24, 2017, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: billpoynter on December 28, 2017, 03:45:10 PM
Is it possible that I could give someone access to the site so that they can determine what I have done to it?  I think that the original problem was caused by GoDaddy, but I have only made it worse.  I take one step forward and two back.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords...
Did you try what shawnb61 suggested?

Quote from: shawnb61 on December 28, 2017, 03:29:35 PM
To me, that looks like 'Enable DB Sessions' was disabled.  Two thoughts: 

First, I would suggest re-enabling it.   

Second, I would suggest talking with your host to determine why /tmp isn't configured/working properly. 

Though, GoDaddy is probably one the worst hosts out there for forums and other non-static content.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Just Another Member

Quote from: billpoynter on December 28, 2017, 10:58:12 AM
I seem to have everything working except for this error message: The default theme's directory is wrong, please correct it by clicking this text.     I can't seem to resolve this issue.  Any ideas?
A bit late but I had the same problem about 24 hours ago and went to my Themes settings page and found that repair_settings didn't fix the theme settings. I had gone to the same domain name but a different TLD.

Evidently repair_settings missed some of the theme settings despite theme settings being shown right in repair_settings. I'm sure I had all the settings right in repair_settings.

But. Too late now. Wish I'd seen this topic about 20 minutes ago. Might have worked for you too.

Sir Osis of Liver

I have this forum up and running, just some cleaning up to do tonight.  Another GoDaddy ******up. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Just Another Member

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 29, 2017, 12:29:36 PM
Another GoDaddy ******up. :P
LOLOL! You realize that's an oxymoron! :D :D :D

Please, make plans to change providers. Look forward to the date when your current contract expires and shop around ahead of time to find a better plan with a REAL provider, not a TOY provider like GoDaddy.

Note that you can change providers and then host your current domains as external sites, allowing you time to transfer your domains gracefully. I highly recommend http://internet.bs (located in the Bahamas) as being a very professional domainn registrar outfit with good support and excellent rates.* In fact you could benefit by transferring your sites there any time and host them at Who'sYaDaddy! ;) if they are smart enough to be able to handle hosting external domains (doubtful but who knows?). Please note that I don't go around recommending sites or products unless I feel strongly about them.

It's very smart to have your hosting at one company and your domain registration at another company, VERY SMART! When your hosting service is also your registrar they hold power over you and your domain. When your domain is at a registrar not connected with your hosting service, just make backups, get a new host, restore your backups and then delete the stuff at your nasty hosting provider. They get left holding an empty bag. Come to think of it, GoDaddy is already holding an empty bag—of hot air and poor hosting.

* I'm in the process of moving all my domains (about 10) to Internet.BS. I've done business with them about 3-4 years and it was only recently that 1and1 began pissing me off that I decided to get my own server, fire 1and1, and start moving domains around to eventually all land at Internet.BS. My situation was complicated by having a lot of money in BTC and Internet.BS not accepting BTC. I had to go to an intermediate registrar and up my domains for 10 years and then move them to Internet.BS. I'm currently hung up on the 60 day rule but in a few months every domain I own will be with Internet.BS.

(BTW 1and1 is fine for most people although some PPL at SMF don't like them, but I simply grew too big for a shared hosting account at 1and1 and got my own dedicated server. I send people to 1and1 unless they are big enough to require a dedicated server. I'd rather be dipped in mud than rent a dedicated server from 1and1, there are much better rates and better dedicated servers elsewhere. For sure 1and1 is 1000x better than Who'sYaDaddy!)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 29, 2017, 12:29:36 PM
I have this forum up and running, just some cleaning up to do tonight.  Another GoDaddy ******up. :P

I'm assuming this is ready to be marked solved then?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: