GameAnarchy Style ShoutBox

Started by kittonium, December 27, 2017, 01:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittonium

it auto-converts text into emotes but thats pretty much it, nice and simple ;D

i don't have moderator on the site the shoutbox is on but for moderators, it had 3 links next to the message: "Delete | Warn | Ban"

Features:
- only 10 shouts displayed
- Delete, warn, ban
- time posted
- auto converts text to emoticons
- the Anarchy symbol next to peoples name indicates they're staff
- the colored names are the colors of the rank the posters are in (green being supermoderator, etc)

would be very nice if the newest SMF had this by default!!

Arantor

There is precisely zero chance that SMF will ever have a shoutbox as a default feature. There are multiple shoutbox addons, however.

kittonium

Quote from: Arantor on December 27, 2017, 02:39:50 AM
There is precisely zero chance that SMF will ever have a shoutbox as a default feature. There are multiple shoutbox addons, however.

Why? There are emoticons already

Arantor

Because a shoutbox is a feature that has been discussed many times in the last ten years, and invariably it pulls people away from posting. There's a huge difference between emoticons (which were a feature in 2003 when SMF first debuted, as well as in SMF's predecessor), and a shoutbox.

kittonium

Quote from: Arantor on December 27, 2017, 05:52:32 PM
Because a shoutbox is a feature that has been discussed many times in the last ten years, and invariably it pulls people away from posting. There's a huge difference between emoticons (which were a feature in 2003 when SMF first debuted, as well as in SMF's predecessor), and a shoutbox.

Will you add a shoutbox?

Arantor

Not in the core software. Like I said, there are multiple addons already available for SMF that provide a shoutbox.

SaltedWeb

Another concern even in people whom use paid forum software is server load. I know a couple people that run Xenforo with there own servers top of the line stuff and have a area like these just bogs down the system and the more you have the worse it gets as your forum grown and then you get emails of lag n the site.  I ran a paid software with these on my own server and hated how it worked and as was already said, people stopped posting as much and would hand in these areas waiting to chat, not post. I can see why its a not a default I wouldn't use it unless Zuckeyberg wants to give me one of his datacenters :-P
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

kittonium

Quote from: SaltedWeb on December 27, 2017, 10:09:16 PM
Another concern even in people whom use paid forum software is server load. I know a couple people that run Xenforo with there own servers top of the line stuff and have a area like these just bogs down the system and the more you have the worse it gets as your forum grown and then you get emails of lag n the site.  I ran a paid software with these on my own server and hated how it worked and as was already said, people stopped posting as much and would hand in these areas waiting to chat, not post. I can see why its a not a default I wouldn't use it unless Zuckeyberg wants to give me one of his datacenters :-P

a tiny shoutbox wont do any harm, mby even have a toggle for it

Arantor

Hahahahahaha, if only that were true. The server load even a modest shoutbox generates is quite surprising.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: kittonium on December 28, 2017, 04:14:05 AMa tiny shoutbox wont do any harm, mby even have a toggle for it

If you do a search on SMF there are several conversations over shoutboxes and people either wanting one and being told the same or doing it and not happy with the server load.

From what I understand ( could be wrong ) is that on places like FB and others the Message system is run in a whole other area dedicated to just that one thing messaging. Of course they are collecting data. The point is to understand the dynamics of running one.
Try and imagine even 150 people using a shoutbox not just one or two would be a large load, I know some guys that have Podcast software and use a separate server just for their chat area. Of course you could use a outside source but then that presents a whole other issues in moderating and people having to sign up. I was thinking last night after I wrote what I did above it was like 5 times I ran shout boxes and each and everytime I regretted doing it.

Lastly trolls love these areas as they are hard to manage ( out of sight out of mind) and some will just flood the area if they can. And so then you put limits and that irritates the legit users.   But its not my money or server :-P

Fixed quote tags error ~ Steve
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

kittonium

Quote from: SaltedWeb on December 28, 2017, 11:32:58 AM
Quote from: kittonium on December 28, 2017, 04:14:05 AM

a tiny shoutbox wont do any harm, mby even have a toggle for it
If you do a search on SMF there are several conversations over shoutboxes and people either wanting one and being told the same or doing it and not happy with the server load.

From what I understand ( could be wrong ) is that on places like FB and others the Message system is run in a whole other area dedicated to just that one thing messaging. Of course they are collecting data. The point is to understand the dynamics of running one.
Try and imagine even 150 people using a shoutbox not just one or two would be a large load, I know some guys that have Podcast software and use a separate server just for their chat area. Of course you could use a outside source but then that presents a whole other issues in moderating and people having to sign up. I was thinking last night after I wrote what I did above it was like 5 times I ran shout boxes and each and everytime I regretted doing it.

Lastly trolls love these areas as they are hard to manage ( out of sight out of mind) and some will just flood the area if they can. And so then you put limits and that irritates the legit users.   But its not my money or server :-P

ok so mr. coder adds shoutbox to smf 2.1 but leaves it disabled?? like Paid Subscriptions??? :D

Fixed quote tags error ~ Steve

Arantor

Oh congrats for missing the point yet again.

The SMF team do not want a shoutbox in SMF itself on a fundamental level. They do not believe it fits with the idea of a forum system. The stuff around performance is just more reasons for it.

Seriously, why you do feel you have to be given everything to you without you having to do any work? There are multiple choices of shoutbox you could have installed and be using on your site RIGHT NOW if only you could be bothered to spend like 5 minutes of your precious life adding it.

But instead of doing that - like everyone else before you did - you continue to act like a spoiled and entitled jerk who feels that everything must be done for you rather than doing something yourself. Good luck running a community when you can't be bothered to put any effort in yourself.

Kindred

Exactly

Shoutbox will never be a core feature, for dozens of reasons.
That being said, there are 3 or more shoutbox mods if you want to kill your forum on your own
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

The real hilarity is that even the forum platforms that have it as an optional extra charge extra so they can host it themselves to avoid it being a problem on your server.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: kittonium on December 28, 2017, 01:16:08 PM

ok so mr. coder adds shoutbox to smf 2.1 but leaves it disabled?? like Paid Subscriptions??? :D

Why I have zero to do with what is included or not in SMF,  I do know the more you add to it the more there can be conflicts
with a host of Themes, addons, mods. Having used this program well over a decade I can say in my own experiences that updates can interfere with old crap. ( mostly stuff not having anything to do with SMF but addons) Now add a complex idea like you are suggesting I can hear half a dozen Mod developers ( or more most likely more) going WTF would you put this in as a core option it could easily break mods and other stuff already existing. Having watched this software since near its infancy the idea in my head at least I viewed SMF to be a base model with options needed only for the operations of the forum software, and in fact if you look at all the option in the Admin very few are fluff related. And for addon to be not of their concern.  They unlike some other forum software developer allow you to do what you want with it pretty much as long as Copyright is intact...............OH and its FREE!!!!!  Id take a step back and be sure the direction you want to take in this, nothing like having a nice running forum and then having it break, then you get to get 100's emails with annoyed members.
The more you leave things alone in SMF the more it just runs along happy with low server loads. By the way paid or not it will load your server and make no sense to add an option that makes it run slower. You can go pay $500+ to get all options on Xenforo and it will still tax your form.

kittonium

Quote from: Arantor on December 28, 2017, 01:24:21 PM
Oh congrats for missing the point yet again.

The SMF team do not want a shoutbox in SMF itself on a fundamental level. They do not believe it fits with the idea of a forum system. The stuff around performance is just more reasons for it.

Seriously, why you do feel you have to be given everything to you without you having to do any work? There are multiple choices of shoutbox you could have installed and be using on your site RIGHT NOW if only you could be bothered to spend like 5 minutes of your precious life adding it.

But instead of doing that - like everyone else before you did - you continue to act like a spoiled and entitled jerk who feels that everything must be done for you rather than doing something yourself. Good luck running a community when you can't be bothered to put any effort in yourself.

i will not leave until u add the shoutbox to smf 2.1

Arantor

You'll be waiting considerably longer than the 6 years that 2.1 has already been in development, because it's not happening.

Illori

we have the right to kick you out if we so wish. SMF 2.1 will NEVER have a shoutbox in it.

Irisado

On that note this topic can be locked.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: