SMF's unnecessary antics: Very stupid bug in "PM-Reply"

Started by SMiFFER, February 17, 2018, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

Very simple to reproduce this nasty bug.

Let's say you want to reply to a PM.
For sake of the argument do this in a new tab, i.e. right-click on REPLY/QUOTE and then open that in new tab (2).

In the "old" tab you still have the PM you want to reply to.
But having the quote open in another tab you decide to DELETE this PM in the old tab (1).

Then you switch over to the new tab (2) and enter your reply, then click to send that reply.

GUESS WHAT! You cannot send that reply anymore!
Just because the existing PM does no longer exist? AARRG! Plain stupid!

And when you click the offered "back-option" your reward is that even your edited reply is LOST.
How incredibly dumb!

Now the process of checking the existane of the PM to which to reply to is useful, but this is clearly onliy useful at the beginning and not that late - and it is definitely too late to check that when you finally want to send the reply.

Tested this with vBulletin - no such antics, works there!

This process needs fix, despite that the back-option kills your text completely and presents you with an empty reply.

Hope this helps.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Version used?
Any PM related mods installed?
I do not think SMF actually cares if you have the original message or not if you already have it quoted for reply.
Can't test right now, but I am pretty sure it doesn't matter at all.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

butch2k

Tested it on 2.0.15 worked fine following the SMiFFER's MO.
As Lex underlined it's probably an issue with a mod, what kind of error do you get when clicking the send button ? IIRC there is at least a mod (advanced PM ??? not sure right now) which mess up a bit the PM logic, not sure it was fixed since then but i had to remove it at one point because of various issues including replies.

Sesquipedalian

I just tested this, and I could not reproduce the problem. As Lex and butch2k have suggested, you should check whether a mod had messed something up, SMiFFER.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

SMiFFER

Thank you guys, for your help and feedback.

This is really getting frustrating.
It is always these ****** mods screwing something up!!
And SMF is really NOTHING without mods. SMF really needs mods.

I am sooner or later getting to the point of frustration that I throw this SMF into the trash!
It is a 6 years old software that has not remotely got the functions that other forums have right upon basic install,
then you find a mod that addresses the lacking function and then that mod screws something else up.

Damn 6-year-old SMF.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Kindred

Well, then, talk to the mod author(s)

This error is not the fault of smf...   and your ideas on what feature are necesarry are completely different from eighteen dozen other peoples' ideas...     which is why smf is SIMPLE, but has mods to extend the functionality
I had over 200mods installed in a single forum, once and it still ran just fine, without any errros.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: