News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

new server

Started by Jeff B, December 28, 2017, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff B

Well, I have kinda got to a point I need to do it again. Go to a new server. The last time was in 2010. I've reached a point where I can't upgrade to 2.0.14 because of my version of PHP.  I find that I can not upgrade my PHP due to my dated version of Debian  So,  I have a couple questions. Well, one to begin with I guess.

Am I going to have issues migrating to Debian 9 and PHP7 ?  Issues with memcache or Sphinx search?     I was hoping I can just move everything over. I have a dedicated server and my host says that my paths would be the same on the new server, but I've hoped for things before and ended up with something closer to a bucket of ice water dumped on my head. :)

Jeff B

WHere I think my issue may be is, I can't upgrade to 2.0.14  on my current server,  and the new server, 2.0.13 would not be supported

Kindred

Backup database and files

Extract to new site, files and database
Overlay 2.0.15 forum files (large upgrade package)
Run repair_settings.php and set to your new configuration
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jeff B

I'll give her a run once the box is set up. Thank you!  to be clear, "Overlay 2.0.15 forum files (large upgrade package)" means to extract and overwrite the old files?

Also, once I have tested the new server, and am ready to do the final database move, I plan on shutting down my forum, backing up the database and rplacing the test one to get all the current posts.  Is there going to be any issues exporting a database and restoring on the other server when it had been running on 2.0.13 and is now going to one running 2.015?

Kindred

Yes, overwrite

And no problem using a 2.0.13 database...   the only problem you will have is that every time you copy the database over yoy will gave to rerun repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jeff B

Awesome  can I keep this topic open while I go through this process or should I mark it solved?  I'd be willing to bet I goof sumpthin up! ;)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can keep it open, just come back to tell us how it went :)

How do I move my SMF forum to a different host?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Jeff B

Jeff B

Still waiting for my new server to be racked up.   I was reading on the downloads page for the large upgrade.  It says it will wipe out all of my modifications??

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, patches done through the package manager don't touch modifications, but large upgrade effectively removes all modified code.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 08, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
Yes, patches done through the package manager don't touch modifications, but large upgrade effectively removes all modified code.

it does not remove hooks, they need to be done manually.

Jeff B

So can I upgrade manually somehow?   I really don't want to lose what we have. Our forum has been up since the days of Yabb. it is in its 18th year.

Illori

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 29, 2017, 12:07:55 AM
You can keep it open, just come back to tell us how it went :)

How do I move my SMF forum to a different host?

all you need to do is in that link, then using the package manager to the 2.0.15 version.

LiroyvH

Quote from: Jeff B on January 08, 2018, 02:12:16 PM
So can I upgrade manually somehow?   I really don't want to lose what we have. Our forum has been up since the days of Yabb. it is in its 18th year.

As mentioned, always make a backup to prevent just that :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Jeff B

So version 2.0.13 will run under php7 so I can use the package manager to go on up to 2.0.15 ?   

Illori

you might get some errors but it should work well enough to get SMF upgraded.

drewactual

i haven't tested this personally, but in a bind.......

you can downgrade your version of php via htaccess...

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php54 .php

you can choose the version (54, 56, ect) in that line as well.  It works for apache builds that have the version available, but it's also my understanding it will emulate previous versions of php regardless (so long as they're previous builds).

it's a single line in your htaccess as presented.  IF/IF/IF you have 7 loaded and want to dance right through 13 to get to 14 (which supports 7) this may be the easiest route.  (given it works as advertised- again, i haven't done it).

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Depending on your host, that may or may not work.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Jeff B

Can you guys give me some tips on restoring the database?   I'm using mysql dumper and this is what I have so far.
Database 'forums2' on 'localhost'.
File: forums2_2018_01_09_22_31.sql.gz
Charset: utf8
Up to now 55 of 112 tables were created.
Up to now 335.881 of 12.036.768 records were successfully added.
Now the table 'smf_log_boards' is restoring.

Overall Progress
       2,79 %

Speed
100   50000

243 Minutes 38 Seconds, 754 Page refreshs

Holy cats,  the last time I had to do this was in 2010 and I'm pretty sure it only took 3 hours in total. I'm into 4 hours and not 3% yet.

aegersz

are you able to use mysqldump ? I run the following from the Linux command line and it all takes just a few seconds (62 MB DB):

BACKUP

mysqldump -u root -pxxx smf209 > database_smf209_`date '+%d-%m-%Y_%H-%M-%S'`.sql

RESTORE

you may need to "drop database smf209;"

mysqldump -u root -pxxx smf209 < the_file_from_above

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: