News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help with Banner

Started by The Prole, January 07, 2018, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prole

Hi, I've been asked to update a Banner on our forum.

I read this page from the support section.
QuoteMany themes provide an easy way to show a custom logo or banner for your site. All you need to do is to upload the image file (you can use cpanel or ftp), note the URL, and tell the theme to use that URL. You may want to test your desired logo or banner on a test version of your site, to see if it is compatible with your theme.

Upload your logo/banner to your desired location by using ftp or a method provided by your host. A good place to have the file hosted is the root of your forum (or an images folder there). Note where it is, and obtain its URL.

Login to your forum and go to Admin > Configuration > Current Theme
In the text input labeled Logo image URL:, enter the URL you copied earlier.
Select the Save button to save your change.

Our site uses the Starcraft 2 theme.
Does the image file have to go in the Root Directory? I've been given admin rights to help set this up, but don't have access to the host or cPanel.
Is there any way I could use a third party image site, and paste that URL into the 'LOGO IMAGE URL' box.
I tried it already, but nothing updated.
I then tried experimenting with the code in Sc2.css. I managed to remove the old banner, but couldn't get it to see the new one. I put that code back to the previous state when finished.
Is there something I can put in to make it use a third party URL, like from IMGBB?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: The Prole on January 07, 2018, 01:43:18 AM
Hi, I've been asked to update a Banner on our forum.

I read this page from the support section.
QuoteMany themes provide an easy way to show a custom logo or banner for your site. All you need to do is to upload the image file (you can use cpanel or ftp), note the URL, and tell the theme to use that URL. You may want to test your desired logo or banner on a test version of your site, to see if it is compatible with your theme.

Upload your logo/banner to your desired location by using ftp or a method provided by your host. A good place to have the file hosted is the root of your forum (or an images folder there). Note where it is, and obtain its URL.

Login to your forum and go to Admin > Configuration > Current Theme
In the text input labeled Logo image URL:, enter the URL you copied earlier.
Select the Save button to save your change.

Our site uses the Starcraft 2 theme.
Does the image file have to go in the Root Directory? I've been given admin rights to help set this up, but don't have access to the host or cPanel.
Is there any way I could use a third party image site, and paste that URL into the 'LOGO IMAGE URL' box.
I tried it already, but nothing updated.
I then tried experimenting with the code in Sc2.css. I managed to remove the old banner, but couldn't get it to see the new one. I put that code back to the previous state when finished.
Is there something I can put in to make it use a third party URL, like from IMGBB?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

If you go under your themes settings for the you can pick the url for the logo.
Why yes most will place a image file in the root or a image folder but if you do not have access you could copy the url eslsewhere
and use that. However if that destination of the image changes or that resource is no longer available your logo would not show as it doe snot cache on your site your browser will cache it which also is to be aware if the image changes you may not be aware of it if your browser has a cached image.
So why this can be done if and when you are able to put it on a source you manage the better.
If you need any other help with the theme though you should ask the site developer, but the image is pretty common settings for most themes.
Hope this helped answer what I think you were asking??
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

The Prole

Thanks for the reply.

I already tried using a third party URL. I copied the link and entered it into LOGO IMAGE URL and clicked save, but it did not work.
I then cleared my cache on my browser to see if that would have any effect, but it still did not work.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Arantor

Link to your site?

It's possible the admin panel option won't work - the theme may not respect the setting.

The Prole

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2018, 10:00:58 AM
Link to your site?

It's possible the admin panel option won't work - the theme may not respect the setting.

hxxp:raiderforum.net/raiderforum/index.php [nonactive]

So, would that mean the main admin guy could update it if I sent hum the URLs?

Arantor

Your admin will have to do it. The current banner is Themes/Starcraft2/images/header.jpg and that will need to be replaced with the new image - and the options in the admin panel won't fix it because it's part of the theme code to ignore it.

The Prole

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2018, 10:08:07 AM
Your admin will have to do it. The current banner is Themes/Starcraft2/images/header.jpg and that will need to be replaced with the new image - and the options in the admin panel won't fix it because it's part of the theme code to ignore it.

Thank you very much for that info.

So, how does the Admin change it? We are both novices.

Arantor

The admin goes to cPanel or similar and uploads the new file over the top of the old one.

The Prole

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2018, 10:11:55 AM
The admin goes to cPanel or similar and uploads the new file over the top of the old one.

So, does he rename the new file 'header.jpg'

Then drop that into the 'images' folder?

The Prole

Just out of curiosity...is there anything I could change in the code to stop the theme from ignoring the change from the Admin panel?

Arantor

Yes, the file would be renamed header.jpg and then dragged into the images folder.

To make it respect the admin setting would require a partial rewrite of the code in the theme (across multiple files) which would be quite complex to do.

The Prole

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2018, 10:23:56 AM
Yes, the file would be renamed header.jpg and then dragged into the images folder.

To make it respect the admin setting would require a partial rewrite of the code in the theme (across multiple files) which would be quite complex to do.

Yep, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. We'll just go for the 'overwrite'.

Thank you very much. It's most appreciated for this information.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: The Prole on January 07, 2018, 10:28:50 AM
Yep, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. We'll just go for the 'overwrite'.

Thank you very much. It's most appreciated for this information.
That should do it, just remember to make a copy of the original to make it easy to revert changes in case you need to experiment. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: