News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Changing PHP versions

Started by MensaMod, December 29, 2017, 02:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MensaMod

Following the "ask BEFORE getting into trouble" ploy...  Our SMF configuration is a dual -- there's a sandbox system where I apply SMF fixes before rolling them onto the live system.  We're now at SMF 2.0.12 and I'm getting ready to jump us to 2.0.15.  The doc for 2.0.14 says we need to be at PHP 5.4 or better but we're at 5.3 so I understand I need to take care of that first. 

The hosting service provides what looks like a real easy upgrade path -- a drop-down selector widget where I can select anything from 5.3 to 5.6 plus a couple of others.  I'm concerned that there's only the one selector and it'll apply to both my sandbox and live systems (which run in the same partition). 

Our SMF code is as-shipped plus a few packaged Mods, no local customization.  Can I be reasonably confidant that I won't damage or at least change the behavior of my live system when I move the PHP selector to 5.6?

Thanks for your advice.  (And yes, I'll have fresh backups in hand before I do anything <g>.)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Having fresh backups at hand is always a good thing, but I would be fairly at ease making the leap to 5.6 :) It should work well, and assuming the actual PHP setup doesn't change drastically for some odd reason (shouldn't since the host is the same), everything should go well.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Provided you're on the current version of SMF 2.0 - 2.0.15 - it should be safe to move to PHP 5.6. There are occasional mods that might be awkward but I don't know if there's a central list of those at this time and if there are issues, you'll see them in the error log and we'll be able to help fix them.

aegersz

i moved from 5.3 to 5.4 and then to 5.6

i had some errors that i solved by adjusting my php.ini, from memory. I had to restart my webserver (Apache) to load the new version.

with the help of Google, no SMF changes needed to be made and I have a load of mods.

your host can take a BACKUP or re-IMAGE prior to this.

I also had a PHP uninstall plan but no need - good luck, you should be sweet as long as you have a a
sysadmin guy handy to make any adjustments to php.ini
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Sir Osis of Liver

Be advised that some of these host php selectors don't work.  They'll show you the upgraded version, but will still be running the old version.  I've seen this several times on different hosts.  Run phpinfo to confirm the upgrade.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: