News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

English-utf8 language pack

Started by Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen, December 31, 2017, 04:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Anyone want to help me out - Am I blind, or has something changed?

I am unable to find a public link to the default language pack in utf-8.
I can find download links on the forum to older versions of English-utf8 and they work,
but I can't find a link to a current version in the downloads. It used to be available on the languages page I think.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

d3vcho

From the Language Packs page you can read; "The english language is provided by default, and additional language packages can be downloaded from this page."

Anyway, you can install UTF-8 English Package on the Admin Panel if you search for "English" in the Add Languages tab.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, I can. That was not really the point.
I can also install both English_US and English_US-Utf8 from the admin panel. That was not the point either.

The point was, that I am surprised the US language packs are not downloadable. ( The English-Utf8 package, is NOT provided by default - even if you install in UTF8. )

---
This comes from being in the process of doing a complete redesign of my personal website, and installing a fresh 2.0.15 in there, in UTF8, including Finnish-UTF8 and noticing later that the english pack is still in ISO-8859-1.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SleePy

I'm looking into it.  The only difference between english and english-utf8 is the charsets being set to utf8.  If you change those in the default english it is the same package.  SMF 2.1 and beyond is completely UTF-8, so there is no separate UTF-8 packages.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: SleePy on December 31, 2017, 11:18:40 AM
I'm looking into it.  The only difference between english and english-utf8 is the charsets being set to utf8.  If you change those in the default english it is the same package.  SMF 2.1 and beyond is completely UTF-8, so there is no separate UTF-8 packages.
Yeah thanks, I know they don't really differ - but I was kinda pre-emptively worried about the charset issue, as if I remember correctly the language pack actually sets the charset used - and an ISO pack on an UTF8 install could cause issues. ( My installation was actually empty when I noticed this, so no trouble for me. )
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

SleePy

It shows up now on the downloads page :)
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: