News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Problem with registration

Started by Ichika, January 01, 2018, 02:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ichika

This is my third attempt at registration and did not get username I wanted. Validation emails seemed to just never arrive. I tried again and again. Please help me recover the username I first registered as. Setting up new computer and somehow it shut down in middle of validation and I lost my notes including password. I think I made a mistake in email too. First attempt was username イチカ, second was イチカ2, both are my name in Japanese so I settled for my name in English but I prefer Japanese name. Can some staffer help me fix this? You can look at account records and see my failed attempts using other email accounts. I finally borrowed a friends email but I want to use my own. Please moderator contact me PM and tell me what I can do to get back イチカ username and fix email address.

Ichika

Still no help on this? I have verified my own account at outlook.jp [nofollow] works get messages from my other friends and from email I'm using at smf now.

Arantor

The people who need to look at this are based in the US - where it's still very early in the morning and given that last night was a party for many people, they may not be around for a bit.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can change your display name in Profile without changing your account name, and update your email address.  Both are in Account Settings.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SleePy

Are you sure it didn't go to the spam folder?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Ichika

Thank you Arantor I thought people from all around the world were involved.

Sir Osis I already created accounts with イチカ and イチカ2 and I presume my previous mistakes occupied those usernames. I have been unable to create new account because forum say name already used. In any case those options are not available on my account, to change username.

SleePy yes I am sure no spam because I send myself email and it went into spam but I rescured it. There were no other messages in spam folder. Nothing from forum.

Ichika

It would be very helpful if you posted a contact email for those who have trouble creating account. I looked all over site and there is no way to email SMF organization except by registering account.

Sir Osis of Liver

You may need a minimum post count to edit profile.  Maybe an admin could assist you?

The contact link is here.  It's well hidden, you have to click on About at top of forum, then Contact Us in side menu.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

There's people from all around the world involved whom all, allegedly, have a social life and thus more to do around festive holidays. ;)
As you've successfully registered and just your display/nickname is in question now: its merely a cosmetic problem, so also rather low-priority.

From the email address you tried to register those other account(s) with, send a message to info@ and this will be looked in to for you.
Thanks.

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Ichika

Yes Osis I believe that is true. I got basic forum installed and don't see the options you mention here at SMF than I do on my own forum. It's not public, just me playing on local hosting here at home. Decided to start small, learn, then get a real forum. My forum account here is crippled.

Core that is exactly it, I'll be good enough if I can get my username. What you don't understand is that I was bringing up new computer at same time and taking notes creating the first email then account as and then second account as イチカ2. My computer suddenly powered down and lost my notes or I would not be in the spot I am. if you are staff you can see that the inital part of the email address on those two accounts is my name separated by a dot, first.last@outlook and first.last@hotmail. I finally got account at outlook.jp [nofollow] which is what I wanted anyway but the problem is I can't change my username to イチカ because my mistake tied that up. Is there a time period when unvalidated accounts are purged? If so I can wait but I really want to get started with the forum and I want to make identy as イチカ not Ichika. Is there any way to expedite termination of イチカ account so that the name will be free for me to change to?

All I can say is that I thought the battery on my laptop was charged up but suddenly without warning I was faced with a black screen and no power light. All my notes were gone. Even my password at the other account, so doing an account recovery is impossible even though I used the same password at all three mail accounts. I think I mistyped my name at one mail account. I thought registration would be easy or I would have waited for a time when I was more wakeful. It is all my fault for making such a mess. I have my account now and my JP email address so the only problem is getting the messed up registration for イチカ out of the way so I can take over the username I wanted in the beginning.

Ichika

Actually I just realized I am still using friends email account. but I know my outlook.jp [nofollow] account works.

If when things get going if I change my email to my outlook.jp [nofollow] account and it doesn't work with your forum is there a way to get back at friends email address or do I have to use hidden cntact email?

Ichika

UPDATE:

I can now see the part of my user controls where I can change my display name but when I try イチカ it says it is taken. Of course it is taken because I am the one who took it in a failed registration.

Is there any way a moderator could look at that account and my current account and realize it's the same person? I'm sure you can tell by my IP address and the address used to register the account is the same.

This would leave only the final problem of getting my email switched from my friend's account to my own.

Illori

Quote from: CoreISP on January 01, 2018, 09:45:45 PM
From the email address you tried to register those other account(s) with, send a message to info@ and this will be looked in to for you.
Thanks.

please complete this and CoreISP will take care of the rest for you.

Ichika

Quote from: Illori on January 02, 2018, 02:02:40 PM
Quote from: CoreISP on January 01, 2018, 09:45:45 PM
Thanks.

please complete this and CoreISP will take care of the rest for you.
I can't do that. My computer crashed or the battery failed when I created signing up for the email account or accounts. I think in one I left out a letter ('ichka') and I forgot what happened to the other. Both accounts started with myfirstname.mylastname and I forgot if I had to supply that with my registration but I can supply that to any staff member by reply PM.

Let me see if I can get into either account.

Arantor

So the computer crashed while you were registering but also while you were signing up for email?

Ichika

Okay I sent email to [email protected] with my name Ichika in subject line, and explained what I want to do.

Arantor, what I did is signed up to one email then trying to get it to work (outlook.com) then when that didn't work I tried hotmail.com [nofollow] which I think did work but I got no verification from SMF. Then I noticed I could get outlook.jp [nofollow] which I liked better but still couldn't get verification. Now I think I have both outlook.jp [nofollow] and outlook.com [nofollow] working with my name. I still hadn't saved my notes on passwords so I don't have the passwords for the first two accounts because I looked over and my computer was dead. I might have hit the power or maybe the battery failed. That is why I don't have the notes. The notes were lost when the computer switched off.

I remembered my password on two of the email accounts because it has special significance to me, and all I can remember is that for SMF password I picked one of the many English translations for my name but I forgot which one I used. I looked and looked and looked at the name sites but never found the same translation.

I know this is a really stupid story but all I can say is that I should have saved the files I put the passwords were in but I was waiting to complete the registration before I saved the files.

This is too stupid to not be true and if somebody looks up the member records you will see that both email addresses are either my name (see email I sent to info@) or misspellings. All I can say is I was having a bad day and accidentally reserved the name I want to use by mistake and can't recover the email addresses (unless it's one I sent to info@) and in any case never got verification email. I ended up using friend's email account and my name in English.

This is a really stupid way to start out at SMF and I hope once all this is straightened out if somebody could delete this topic so that it won't be here to embarrass me for the rest of my time at SMF. This is the worst problem I have ever had joining a website and I am really embarrassed to have my stupidity and bad luck displayed for everybody to see.

So I sent two emails to info@ and hope one of them will unlock the イチカ  account in which case you can just delete it and I can change my display name and everybody will be happy.

By the way I guess I got enough posts and now I can send and receive PMs.

SleePy

We can see both of the accounts you mentioned.  We did have a mail issue preventing mails from working to Outlook.com, but that should be resolved now.  I hadn't responded yet because I was still needing to test some parts to make sure all emails are still working to outlook.com.

You can when logged out, resend activation emails.  We can't activate or delete another account without some sort of verification.  Your email to the info@ account will need some verification.  For account deletions, being able to send from the email account registered under the account is a good verification (to me at least).  Once that is verified we will take care of it.

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Ichika

Okay thank you SleePy, I think I am going to have to read this again to understand it, but if I can get into my イチカ account I can probably figure out something that will work. I can of course login to the two accounts I sent from although I don't know which is which, but I'll know when I get verified which is which. If I find the account with just イチカ I can stick with that account and just delete the other accounts. I see on the user that you can delete your account so as soon as I get things straightened out I'll use the イチカ account if I can get it working with my outlook.jp [nofollow] email address and delete the other two accounts.

Thank you for your help. I feel sorry for all the other outlook people because that's what Microsoft is trying to make Windows users pick, so your problem with outlook.com [nofollow] must mean I'm not the only one who had problems. Thank you because I don't feel as bad now. I did make some mistakes and the stupid computer switched off, so I contributed to the problem too, so I guess there is enough blame to go around. At least I don't feel as stupid as I did when I first asked for help. :)

Oh I forgot to ask, does the outlook problem affect outlook.jp [nofollow]?

LiroyvH

So you've registered with two different domain extensions and then managed to send an email to info@ with a third extension; which was used on neither accounts you mentioned... Ugh.

Moreover, as the email address you've emailed from is not registered to any account you could just like... Change your email address in your profile. o0 As you have failed to verify yourself and are using a proxy (and I think I know why.), I'm not releasing those accounts to you. However, I have released the display name by exception. So you'll keep this account, but you can change the displayed name in your profile.

So, long story short:
- change your display name on this profile.
- change your email address on this profile.

If you fail to get an activation email after changing the email address, I will notice it within a few hours and manually approve your account - so *be patient* and wait for activation if you don't get an email.

I think all those steps ought to be clear, so kindly please just follow these instructions and all will be fine, and this topic will now be closed.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: