Forum is not sending emails to anyone

Started by Dudeson, January 03, 2018, 06:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeson

Hey,
I upload my old forum backup to the host to get everything working as it had before, everything seems fine except the email issue. When a person forget their password and choose to receive a password reset link, they get nothing into their email. Forum aint sending any emails to them. How to fix this?

Dudeson

Quote from: Illori on January 03, 2018, 06:09:47 AM
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/E-Mails_-_Why_are_members_not_getting_emails_sent_from_the_forum

QuoteCommon errors you will see within your error log are:

Could not connect to SMTP host
2: fsockopen() has been disabled for security reasons

I cant find neither one these errors in the log but what i found is this

Illori

did you run the script on that page? did it work?

Dudeson

Quote from: Illori on January 03, 2018, 07:24:15 AM
did you run the script on that page? did it work?

Actually it failed, later i realized its my fault, i didnt know which email i should give for $from_email. What i gave was my email [two different emails at from and to]
So which email should i use at $from_email?

Illori

an email address that exists on your domain.

Dudeson

Quote from: Illori on January 03, 2018, 09:05:26 AM
an email address that exists on your domain.

Yes, i tried and it was a success. I got the mail. But why is the forum not sending?

Illori

is the forum using phpmail to send the email and from that same email address?

Dudeson

Quote from: Illori on January 03, 2018, 01:49:48 PM
is the forum using phpmail to send the email and from that same email address?

Yes the mail type it says is php in the Maintenance  Mail > Setting and no, this email address i tested with is made right after you said it should be domain existing address. I have no idea what address it normally uses to send people mails from forums.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Most commonly it should be a real existing e-mail address on the same domain to avoid issues.
Check Admin -> Configuration -> Server Settings -> General -> Webmaster Email Address

Then perhaps try sending yourself email through the newsletter functionality to another off -domain address to see if it works?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Dudeson

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 04, 2018, 03:32:06 AM
Most commonly it should be a real existing e-mail address on the same domain to avoid issues.
Check Admin -> Configuration -> Server Settings -> General -> Webmaster Email Address

Then perhaps try sending yourself email through the newsletter functionality to another off -domain address to see if it works?

Webmaster email is my personal gmail address which i set when i created the forum back in 2013 and ever since then i didnt have to look for anything regarding this issue as everything was working fine and i believe at that time it was using php to send email as default [forum version was 2.0.4] and now after two years, i put all the backup to run the forum again, and updated the version to 2.0.13, since then i started getting this email issue.

When i use php, i get the error "Unable to send mail to the email address '[email protected]"

As suggested above and in some help topics, ive changed php to SMTP and i gave Secure "SSL/TLS Settings" and then i got this error
"Couldn't get mail server response codes"

So then i changed it and gave "Non-SSL Settings", got the error below
"Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 550 From"

I did run testmail.php code from https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/E-Mails_-_Why_are_members_not_getting_emails_sent_from_the_forum and it was a success. So i'm really confused what did i do wrong, you think it has anything to do with the webmaster email as it is gmail? because thats the only thing left where i have the doubt at

Illori

change the webmaster email address to be from your domain and try sending the email on the forum again. it does make a difference.

Dudeson

Quote from: Illori on January 04, 2018, 05:45:43 AM
change the webmaster email address to be from your domain and try sending the email on the forum again. it does make a difference.

Thank you both, it is working now.  :) Changed the webmaster email and with the Non SSL settings, it is working.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: